cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EFS 18-135 lens not detaching from EOS 77D

JohnMaryJo12
Apprentice

My EFS 17-135mm lens is functioning perfectly. When I press the release button it also smoothly rotates and you feel a slight 'release' when it hits its end - but the lens itself will not detach from the camera body.

As the camera and lens work, I don't want to force the issue. I've tried gently rocking the lens and pulling - but it remains attached. Any ideas? I would like to be able to change lenses. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you continuously holding down the release button as you rotate the lens? That is the only thought I have other than sending it in for repair.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I hear this problem ever so once in a while. Most likely something is bent. It will come off but how much or if there is any additional damage to the lens is unknown. Like John said make sure you are keeping the release button FULLY pressed in.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks. I am keeping the release button fully pressed throughout. If the issue is that something is bent internally, do you have any idea what the cost and/or chance of success would be sending it to a repair facility? I wouldn't want to pay money for them to simply torque it off and break something worse.

As everything works, I may have to live with not changing the lens as I really don't want to damage my camera or destroy an expensive lens. At least the EFS 17-135 is a fairly versatile lens to be stuck on. If you have any other problem solving ideas, I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Canon can get it off. Like I said I see this problem not often but it does happen. It may damage the Mount but Canon will fix that too. It seems they always seem to go on but cause problems removing them. This is assuming it is a bent mount flange. Since it works that’s likely the cause.

Did the lens or camera get dropped?

EB

Thanks - I'll work at scheduling a repair. The camera has never been dropped, but it has been all over the world and has experienced the slings and arrows of travel. When my wife last returned from Africa I swapped out (with no issues) the telephoto she was using with this EFS 17-135 and it hasn't been really used much sense. That said, it's possible there could have been a small bend in the mount flange already present.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...could have been a small bend in the mount flange already present."

It doesn't take much since the tolerance is so close. The bend could be in such a way as to slide in one direction and dig in the other. Keep in mind considering it is a bent mount. It is also a possibility that one or more of the lens mount screws is loose. If that's the case it needs to go to Canon for sure.

EB
Announcements