cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EFS 18-135 IS USM not focusing

Vickeyc
Apprentice

I’ve only had the EF-S 18-135 USM Lens for 2 years and now it won’t focus (used with 80d camera).  On AF, it won’t focus at all, so I can’t take photos.  But if I zoom on a subject and it is focused, then it will take the photo. On MF, the focus ring is not working.   Has anyone had this issue...is there any way to fix without sending it in?

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Not on this lens. There is a trick on the 18-55 if a similar thing happens, but I have never heard it working for the 18-135. You will have to send it in.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Taking a photo has almost nothing to do with lens. The ability to take a photo comes strictly from the camera body.

On the other hand, focusing is teamwork by the camera and the lens. Try a different lens. See if the problem goes away.

Make sure you have sufficient ambient light for the camera to control auto focusing. Resetting the camera may help, too.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The camera works fine when I put on another lens.  How do I reset the camera?

@Vickeyc wrote:

The camera works fine when I put on another lens.  How do I reset the camera?

If it works with another lens, then the first one needs service.  Contact Canon Support.  

There are at least three locations in the menus to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  However, if the camera fails to focus with just the one lens, I doubt if a reset will help.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"On AF, it won’t focus at all,..."

You mean the lens does nothing at all?  It doesn't even try and makes no effort or noise?  If you take it outside on a nice day with the camera set to "P" mode and the lens in AF, will it work?  If not, it is broken and needs service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ebiggs1...the lens doesn’t do anything at all (no effort nor noise) on AF.  It will not do anything outdoors either.  Is there anything that can be done to get the focus ring working on MF?

"Ebiggs1...the lens doesn’t do anything at all (no effort nor noise) on AF.  It will not do anything outdoors either.  Is there anything that can be done to get the focus ring working on MF?"

Vickeyc,

I am afraid not.  Not working outdoors on a nice day in "P" mode tells the tale.  Plus other lenses do work also says volumes.  Resetting the camera won't help either.

You can try calling Canon and see what they say.  They are nice people! 1 (631) 330-5000  The EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is a candidate for repair so give'em a call.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Joshfourie
Apprentice
Hi,

I bought the same lens about 3 years ago and have been using as my go to lens. Never any issues until one day when it just stopped focusing. Neither in MF nor AF. Obviously tried lens on another body and its like a dead lens. Tried another lens on my body and everything works perfect. Never dropped it but on the day it failed it was pretty cold out at around 25 degrees. It took pictures just fine up to a point and then just stopped. Thought it was maybe battery that got to cold but clearly not. Could the cold really affect the lens permanently? I hear no noises inside lens and the focus ring just turns unhindered.

It sounds like the lens communication or the focus motor is messed up. This is a "focus by wire" lens, If the focus motor is not working, you can't focus. I think you will hae to look into getting it repaired.

Announcements