EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM and EOS 5D Mark III

Falkenberg
Apprentice

Equipment:

EOS 5D

EOS 5D Mark III

EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM

EF70-200mm f/4L USM

I bought a EOS 5D back in the days with a EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens. 

The camera died recently so I bought a used EOS 5D Mark III.

After shooting a few shots, the camera wont work with the EF24-105.

The camera works fine with my old EF70-200mm f/4L USM but not my EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM.

Could it be that EOS 5D Mark III is not compatible with EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM?

I've heard from someone else, that they had a problem too. Something about the lens not working the minute they used focus, zoom or something like that. 

Anyone know of this problem?

Thanks,

G. Falkenberg

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Your 5D Mark III will be compatible with any EF lens including the EF 24-105 f/4.

When your original 5D failed, do you recall what lens you had on at the time?  A long shot, but I'm wondering if the 24-105 was at fault and somehow damaged the camera?

For the 24-105, do all modes fail? e.g. manual vs auto-focus.  IS on/off.  Different apertures (e.g. wide open at f/4, then stopped down).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Falkenberg
Apprentice
I had the same thought, but skipped it as lenses rarely die. Mostly it’s the cameras that dies.
But you are right. I was using that lens when my camera died.

What happened was, that the shutter opened but wouldn’t close again before I turned off the cam. And the first time I tried to shoot, same thing happened.

The cam is put away. A new one bought. But lens seems to be damaged. Or I experience something similar to what someone else on the Internet also experienced. So I’m not sure. And I don’t dare to test it again and kill the new cam.

@Falkenberg wrote:
I had the same thought, but skipped it as lenses rarely die. Mostly it’s the cameras that dies.
But you are right. I was using that lens when my camera died.

What happened was, that the shutter opened but wouldn’t close again before I turned off the cam. And the first time I tried to shoot, same thing happened.

The cam is put away. A new one bought. But lens seems to be damaged. Or I experience something similar to what someone else on the Internet also experienced. So I’m not sure. And I don’t dare to test it again and kill the new cam.

If you have recently purchased a 5D3, it sounds like it was most likely used.  Have you reset the camera back to factory defaults, yet?  This should be done with any used camera purchase to put the camera back into a known state.  

Many of the menu options open up to complex sub-menus, which have their own reset option.  A good example of this is the Custom Controls menu, which is used to program control buttons for BBF and other features.

I suggest doing the basic, factory default reset with your camera, just to see if it helps with your lens problem.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" Have you reset the camera back to factory defaults, yet?"

Not only should you do this on the new purchased camera but on your old one also. It is very unlikely that any EF lens can damage a 5D series camera.  I would suggest a full reset as you set something incorrectly or the camera did just fail of its own accord.  Perhaps you new one did also.  You never know about older gear about how long it has.

You can try the unlikely chance that the contacts on the lens are dirty. If you left the lens on for very long periods of time with out changing it it is worth a try. Get some denatured alcohol and a Q-tip and very lightly rub the contacts.  Very lightly!  They are gold plated and it is very thin. It can easily be damaged by cleaning if done too vigorously.

Of course new CF cards and batteries are a good idea too!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Falkenberg
Apprentice
I can imagine it was. At least it had hardly been used.

Thing is, I’m getting a bit nervous about putting the lens to the cam if the lens is defect. If it should work as said above, but it doesn’t, then something is wrong. And whet if it kills my new preowned but hardly used 5D3. 😮
Announcements