cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Inbound hot! - Advice & Recommendations

MattieC
Apprentice

Hey fellas,

New around here. Been shooting with a new T7 and a banged up T6i for about a year and finally tossing the 75-300 for the 55-250. Funds were tight. 
Just curious if there’s anything I should know specifically about the new zoom? I know it seems trivial, but really excited about the step up. Just fishing for some grizzled vet advice.

Much appreciated and happy holidays.

Mattie

5 REPLIES 5

MattieC
Apprentice

Also worth noting (duh) I shoot mostly nature/animals. Slow moving.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think you should experience more accurate focusing and sharper images.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings and welcome.

The 55-250 is one of Canon's better kit lenses.  It's definitely a step up in image quality and performance over the 75-300.  I suspect you're going to notice an improvement in image quality corner to corner almost immediately.  The STM motor is quiet and focuses quickly.  

This lens was one of the 2 that came with my T6s.  The focal length still requires that you get fairly close to distant subjects, so as long as they're not easily spooked I think you'll be happy with the results.  The lens shines outdoors in medium to bright light.  It can also be used for video projects.  You might get occasional noise from the focus motor if it's really quiet.  All in all, it's a nice little compact lens for APS-C.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Anything you do, don't change anything, should be better. It is a better in every category except the loss of 50mm.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

I bet you'll be happy with the new lens!

Did you get the "II" or the "STM"? Either lens is an improvement over the EF 75-300 III typically sold in kits.. The 55-250s have better image quality than the 75-300 and have helpful image stabilization it lacks. The 55-250mm STM is the latest with some further image improvement versus the II (slight, mostly just at the 250mm end), with faster and quieter stepper motor auto focusing, and with a non-rotating front lens element (useful when using filters like circular polarizers).

One suggestion... If it didn't come with the matching lens hood, get one for it and use it. The different versions of 55-250mm lenses use different hoods. The STM lens uses an ET-63 hood. The II and original version use an ET-60 lens hood. A nice deep and good fitting lens hood like these can improve image quality as well as protect the lens from accidental bumps (better than any "protection filter", which I don't recommend).

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Announcements