cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF - RF lens changing question

azCanonUser
Apprentice

Hi, all. Just bought the Canon EF-RF adapter (not the one with the control ring). The instruction flyer that came with the adapter said to attach the lens to the adapter, then attach the lens/adapter to the camera body.

Does this mean if I want to switch lenses, I have to remove the adapter, attach it to the different lens, and then remount, or can I remove the lens from the adapter while it's still attached, and then attach the new lens?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I don't see any reason why you couldn't keep the adapter connected to the camera and then swap out the EF lenses. And be sure to power down the camera in between lens swaps.

I do this on my EOS C70 and 0.71x adapter.  The adapter has optional screws to make a more secure connection to the C70.  So that would be quite the pain if it was required to first attach the lens to the adapter, and then the entire unit to the camera.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I always shut my camera off when changing lenses. Old habits die hard.  I also have my curtain set to close when I power the camera off.   I take lenses right off the adapter and mount another when I want.  Camera off.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I don't see any reason why you couldn't keep the adapter connected to the camera and then swap out the EF lenses. And be sure to power down the camera in between lens swaps.

I do this on my EOS C70 and 0.71x adapter.  The adapter has optional screws to make a more secure connection to the C70.  So that would be quite the pain if it was required to first attach the lens to the adapter, and then the entire unit to the camera.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I always shut my camera off when changing lenses. Old habits die hard.  I also have my curtain set to close when I power the camera off.   I take lenses right off the adapter and mount another when I want.  Camera off.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

azCanonUser
Apprentice

Thanks for the quick responses!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

As long as your off, you're good.

shadowsports_0-1679701997544.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements