cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 75-300mm III

Hestansmommy1
Apprentice

We purchased a Canon EOS Rebel T7 camera kit with 2 lenses for Christmas for my son. He does sports photography through his digital media class at school and was using the school camera. We wanted him to have his own and decided this was a good one for beginners. He began using it in January and it’s been great until the last couple of weeks. The larger lense (EF 75-300mm III) has stopped auto focusing. It almost sounds like something is stuck then it tries to auto focus. This is his busiest time of year with photography and we need to get this working properly asap. Any ideas? 

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

This is probably Canon's worst telephoto. There is probably no way to get it working. The 18-55 can be popped back in place, but I have never heard of doing this with the 75-300.

I suggest renting a lens from LensRentals to get him through the season. 

Thank you. It’s still under warranty so we will send in for a repair. It just isn’t ideal since he needs this camera for his grade in his digital media class and used it for less than 3 months before running in to issues. The cost of renting is crazy ridiculous. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The larger lense (EF 75-300mm III) has stopped auto focusing."

But it will still manual focus? We used to do that all the time. The little ring on the very front of the lens is for manual focus. I wouldn't say it is Canon's "worst" but it is one of their cheapest lenses and therefor not designed for constant day in day out use. I've known lots of folks that have them and they get good service out of them. If you bought it last Christmas from an  Authorized Canon USA retailer, it is still under warranty. If you bought it on Amazon it may not have a USA warranty. 

I advise folks not buy their camera gear from Amazon because of that problem. Amazon itself is an Authorized Canon USA retailer but some of their other stores are not. Plus it isn't always clear where you are getting it from.

Again, if you did buy from an Authorized Canon USA retailer, call this number and ask for service. 1 (800) 652-2666

If not, they are not a good candidate for repair so a used replacement is you best option.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It was bought from canon and is under warranty. It will manual focus. We are going to send in…it just isn’t ideal since the use of this camera is for a grade in his digital media class and he needs it through the end of may for school. The cost of renting a lense for that time is ridiculous. I am just shocked that it only worked not even 3 months before having issues. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The cost of renting a lense for that time is ridiculous."

I agree. Renting is not a good option. In fact it isn't really a good plan ever except on very expensive lenses that you will use only once. But then I don't like renting anything.

"I am just shocked that it only worked not even 3 months before having issues."

Yeah I hear ya but who knows perhaps it got a little bump or drop, who knows why things break. And it always seems like the worst possible time too. As I mentioned above used is a good option. I have seen these go for $50 bucks. A more common price is around a $100 for a mint copy. After class and you get yours back you can sell the used one or donate it to the school. Ebay or a even local pawn shop should will have one. Canon has made thousands upon thousands of them.

At my school we have had some of them go for years without issue. Many, many teenagers "using" them!  😁

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Absolutely, since it is still under warranty, of course send it in for repair or replacement.

The 75-300 is, IMHO, the likely candidate for Canon's worst piece of optics available.  It is not weather sealed, has no image stabilization (which is rather significant in a long telephoto lens, especially for using in sports and wildlife) and has, to put it generously, mediocre optics.

If it turns out that, for some reason, the lens is not repaired or replaced by Canon, and if you can afford to do so, I would recommend getting any of the EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM units.  The MkI and MkII versions both are much more ruggedly built, have image stabilization, and far superior optics.   Of particular benefit to the sports photographer, the MkII version has the magic combination of the nano-USM motor that makes focusing blazingly fast, and around 4 stops of image stabilization, making the keeper rate much higher.  You may be able to pick these up used or refurbished for a reasonable price.  

For a review of these lenses see THIS article I wrote on this site.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Or even a 55-250, much cheaper and it fits the scale of the rebel better.

Well... to a degree, possibly, and they will certainly be cheaper. 

Really, a lot depends on what kind of reach the OP needs and that depends on what sports the user is photographing.  I do note that they currently have a range up to 300mm, but certainly we don't know that this full range is used.  Personally, I like the 55-250 STM and USM versions (one has to be a bit picky about that, I think), but for serious reach like field sports then I think the extra focal length (remembering that 50mm extra focal length brings a FoV benefit of around 80mm equivalent), can be significant.  Also the build of the 70-300 units is more robust (e.g. more metal in the structure) and the MkII has blazing fast AV, one of the fastest on the market of EF lenses.  Finally, it IS an EF lens, so may be used on FF bodies if the opportunity arises.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements