cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-300 with new EOS 90D body?

drawson
Apprentice

I just purchased a new  EOS 90D body.  I know that my EFS lenses will work with that body.

I also have an older EF 70-300 lens.  From what I can find on-line, it looks like this lens will also work with the new 90D - can someone confirm that?

Thanks!

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Yes the 90D will take both EF and EF-S lenses.  Not sure which version you will have - there are 4 such, but they are all good lenses - here is my article on them: 70-300 Canon Lenses In-Depth Analysis - Canon Community

Like any lens attached to a crop-sensor APS-C body, the Field of View: i.e. what the combination of lens + sensor will record is going to be changed from what is written on the lens: thus your 70-300 combined with the 90D sensor will render a FoV Equivalent to 112-480mm on a full-frame sensor camera.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Yes the 90D will take both EF and EF-S lenses.  Not sure which version you will have - there are 4 such, but they are all good lenses - here is my article on them: 70-300 Canon Lenses In-Depth Analysis - Canon Community

Like any lens attached to a crop-sensor APS-C body, the Field of View: i.e. what the combination of lens + sensor will record is going to be changed from what is written on the lens: thus your 70-300 combined with the 90D sensor will render a FoV Equivalent to 112-480mm on a full-frame sensor camera.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

drawson
Apprentice

Thanks!

FYI, I have the "MkI" version of the lens - it has definitely provided some great results over the years.

It got a bit of flak for some of its quirks, but I actually liked it and it served me for quite a long time.  As you may have seen it is a capable optic IMHO.  The MkII is an improvement, but it's a lot later model and it was discontinued after only a few years in favour of RF glass.  I still retain the L version, it's a brilliant optic and works well with my R-series bodies, and I still shoot with DSLRs from time to time.  I can also use it via an adapter on my Fuji X-T4 and it does a good job there too!

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements