cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 2X III Extender Compatibility with EF 70-200 2.8 L IS III USM

grhoagie15
Contributor

Hi,

Is the EF 2X III Extender Compatible with the EF 70-200 2.8 L IS III USM lens? 

Thanks, Gary

8 REPLIES 8

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Gary,

It is BUT even with a very good lens, there is a significant hit to IQ from a 2X extender. 

I have 1.4X and 2X III extenders and I use the 1.4X fairly often but even with my extremely sharp 200, 300, and 400 primes I just don't like the results with the 2X.  They aren't bad but but compared to the bare lens it is disappointing.  Depending upon the camera body you are using, you may like the results better from 1.4X plus cropping if that is possible given your intended usage.

The 2X III is noticeably better than the earlier iteration which is why I gave it a try after not liking my 2X version II; I don't notice any significant difference between the 1.4X II and III image results.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you! Very informative.  I appreciate it!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Yes, the EF 2X III extender is compatible with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM.  As previously noted, the optics can degrade image quality.  AF speed and accuracy can take a hit, too.

But, your actual performance will also greatly depend on the camera body that you are using.  Specifically, I am talking about AF point sensitivity.  Different camera bodies have different sensors, with varying types of AF sensor points.  

Since the amount of available light reaching the AF sensor will be reduced, the accuracy of the AF sensor can take minor hit in performance.  With most DSLR models, I recommend only using the center AF point with any of the extenders.

You would need to look up the Lens Group information for your particular camera model in the User Guide to get some idea of just how much of a performance hit that the AF system in your particular camera model might suffer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you so much!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

My advice is don't do it. Actually don't use any 2x on any lens. The 1.4x tel-con is useable on a very few Canon lenses but not the 2x. The ability that well it fits is not a good reason to use it. Of course it is all about what you want and your requirements are. If you can settle for mediocre photos go for it. I can't.

Also don't forget you lose 2 stops. Your f2.8 becomes f5.6.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

grhoagie15
Contributor

I appreciate the advice.  Thank you!

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

I hope some of this might help.

I frequently use the EF 2X III extender, but with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM. The extender slows autofocus and slightly reduces contrast. If it is used to make photos at a greater distance, then distortion from the atmosphere will be more apparent. I made this photo at F/13 even though F/11 is wide open because a narrower aperture increases the depth of field and improves the image quality. My camera can autofocus at F/13, but not all can. A small increase in depth of field overcomes some of the focus problems that the extender creates. The Digital Lens Optimizer in Canon DPP software knows about this extender and can correct much of the problem some photographers see with the extender.

I have included an example. The distance to the cardinal was about 9 meters. ISO was 1250. Shutter speed was 1/664. Focal length was 800mm. Raw image was processed with Canon DPP. Camera was hand held.

Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on March 21, 2023 ; EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +2x IIINorthern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on March 21, 2023 ; EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +2x III

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

grhoagie15
Contributor

Awesome input.  I appreciate it! Great image as well.  Thank you!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements