cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Error 01 Message on My EOS 7D Mark II

RickyMac22
Apprentice

I have a Canon 24-70 2.8 II lens, it has worked perfectly up until today.  I was using my 100-400 and switched to the 24-70 and I got an Err 01 message.  Normally if that happens with a lens I just wipe the contacts with my shirt and everything works again but this time it didn't work.  I tried my 100-400 again and that worked fine.  I then put the 24-70 on my brother's 7d mk II and it worked fine on his camera but when I put it back on mine it will focus but if I try to shoot a photo it brings up the error message again.  If I put the lens on but don't turn it fully to lock in place I can shoot with it but the auto focus doesn't work.  Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? It seems odd that the lens works fine on my brother's 7d mk II but not mine.  Also if I do have to wind up sending this to canon to get it fixed any idea on how long that could take?

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

It sounds like the aperture flex cable may be failing in the lens. What happens with the lens on the 7D Mark II and set an aperture of F/11 for instance. The press the depth of field preview if set to default to see if the lens stops down. If it doesn't stop and produces the error again the flex cable has failed.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

If I set the aperture to F/11 I get the same error.  Wouldn't this flex cable cause the same issue when attached to my brother's camera though? That's what's confusing me.  It works fine on his but mine brings up the error.

So it's not happening on his camera too. Did you try the suggested test on his camera too. The lens won't error out if it's set to wide open wether that be automatically or manually.

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

Ok, I get the same error message if I put it on his camera at F/11. So it must be the flex cable.  Never heard of that before.  Any idea on how much that could cost to fix? Ballpark range?

You will have to call up Canon support on that.

-Demetrius

Ok, thanks for the help! Wanna buy a 24-70? lol

Hey I think I am having the same issue I just don’t have another body to test with. What did you do?

Please start a new thread so users can better assist you.

-Demetrius

Announcements