cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

PEICanon
Apprentice

Hi, very beginner question about lenses here.

I have a 3rd hand Canon EOS 5D, but no lenses to go with it.

I think I'd like to go with the   EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM  but want to make sure first that is is compatible with the camera.

Is this an EF mount camera?  

I guess I'm wondering which of these types of lenses I can use with this older model camera....  Mount EF, EF-S, or EF-M

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Canon EOS 5D's are all EF mount, so can use any EF lens.

Go to this link and filter by a Lens Type of "EF Lens" for the full list of Canon EF lenses.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You can use only EF mount lenses, since the 5D is a full frame camera.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Canon EOS 5D's are all EF mount, so can use any EF lens.

Go to this link and filter by a Lens Type of "EF Lens" for the full list of Canon EF lenses.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You can use only EF mount lenses, since the 5D is a full frame camera.

"You can use only EF mount lenses,..."

This is true if you stick with Canon lenses but off brand may not have the EF designation.  Sigma for instance calls their EF mount lenses DG. They will also work on your 5D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"You can use only EF mount lenses,..."

This is true if you stick with Canon lenses but off brand may not have the EF designation.  Sigma for instance calls their EF mount lenses DG. They will also work on your 5D.

This is not entirely true.  When Sigma uses the "DG" designation, it only means that the lens has full frame coverage.  The actual lens mount itself could be for Canon EF, Nikon, F or some other mount.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"This is not entirely true."

However, we are not talking Nikon or some other brand camera. It is pertinent and entirely true.  We are talking 5D. Right?

A Sigma or Tamron will not have "EF" written on them.  A Sigma, for instance, not for Canon EF will have DC written on it.

Not that I am recommending the OP go for off brand just clearing up the nomenclature if he was expecting to see EF on all lenses for a 5D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"This is not entirely true."

However, we are not talking Nikon or some other brand camera. It is pertinent and entirely true.  We are talking 5D. Right?

A Sigma or Tamron will not have "EF" written on them.  A Sigma, for instance, not for Canon EF will have DC written on it.

Not that I am recommending the OP go for off brand just clearing up the nomenclature if he was expecting to see EF on all lenses for a 5D.

"...Sigma for instance calls their EF mount lenses DG...."

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements