cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions for a Canon 70‑200mm f/2.8L IS III Lens

kgagne
Apprentice

Hey all!

I am a Senior at Thomas Nelson High School working on a project with our CAD class designing blueprints for a product of your choice. For this project, I selected the Dimensions for a Canon 70‑200mm f/2.8L IS III Lens, since this is the lens that I use most frequently with my line of work. My passion as always been in photography and since working for our school district's creative media team, I have had an interest in the Canon products. 

However, I cannot simply take this lens apart to inspect the insides of it for the blueprint, since it is my work's lens and one that we have limited supply of. I need help with the dimensions of the inside of the lens as well as the components within. A section view of the product would be very useful, and some of the dimensions of the inside components would be greatly appreciated!

I could not find a proper email for Canon itself, so that is why I am posting it here. Thank you so much! 

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

For this, you will need to contact Canon Support. Only the external dimensions and weight are provided for the lens.  For anything internal, you'll have to check with them to see what (or if) internal specifications are available.  

Start here:

MyCanon

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"For anything internal, you'll have to check with them to see what (or if) internal specifications are available."

I really doubt Canon is going to give you any internal technical drawings of any of their lenses. But its free to ask.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It's a complex beast.

Screenshot 2024-03-22 123408.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Those dimensions would be for only Canon.

FWIW, it was a joke in the appliance industry that competitors were a company's best customers. They buy a competitor's product and tear it apart to see it. Done that many times.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

This is something of a longshot, but you might consider dropping a line to lensrentals.com.  They regularly tear apart such lenses as part of their maintenance cycle and they published an article on DPREVIEW showing them doing exactly that in 2018: see :LensRentals tears down Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 Mark III and Mark II: Digital Photography Review (dpre...

It's still a long shot, but they might be able to assist you, or have a dead unit that you can get hold of that you can tear down yourself.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements