cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible third party lenses for R7

lovetoshoot2023
Contributor

I’m coming from the Sony A mount world where I primarily used 2 Tamron products: an 18-270 and a 150-600mm lens. After purchasing my R7 I have become disappointed by the lack of compatible third party products. What lenses would you suggest that would be like the ones I used with my Sony camera?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Check out Canon's History of Lens Mounts which includes a short video on the new RF mount.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

Thanks for your informative response!  As I see you have been well served by Ricky's video reference on the thinking behind the RF mount.

For your situation, from the point of producing an 8x10 calendar, almost any reputable brand will work for your purposes.  That said, I would honestly considering the following combination of lenses:
RF-S 18-150 IS USM lens.   A great walk-around unit that has a fast and silent ultra-sonic focusing system, Image stabilization that will work with that of the camera (a good reason for going with the Canon brand) and is very light and extremely compact, making it a very convenient lens to leave on your R7.  There is a reason Canon created this unit as a kit lens for the R7 and R10 bodies.   See Canon RF-s 18-150mm IS STM Review & Sample Images by Ken Rockwell

I can personally recommend the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens for EF mount. I have not owned Tamron's later version but my respected colleague Ernie (Ebiggs1) has positive things to say about it.  For a review of the lens and comparison of the two you might want to watch: 
(21) Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 OS Contemporary Super Telephoto Review - YouTube

Use it via the adapter (which works flawlessly) for your wildlife activities and you essentially have the range from 18mm to 600mm covered.  If you really want to stick with a 3rd party lens you can do so by getting one with an EF mount and using the Canon EF-RF adapter.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Thank Rick.   I have been a Canon user for about 43 years now, even though I shoot with other brands, their equipment by far makes up the majority of my gear.   While I believe there are no bad brands among the major OEMs, I believe Canon have the lead in the market place for a good reason.   That is not to say they are not without fault and I point the finger more at their marketing department than anywhere else, over-emphasizing specific features that may not be able to deliver on the hype; while their branding team had what (down under) we would describe as a 'brain-fart' by mis-labelling the R7 and creating unreasonable expectations.  IMHO, the R7 is a capable camera under most circumstances and is providing good service to many, many users.  It's a reasonable update from the EOS 90D, it's just not at the 7D series level.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements