cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing the Right Canon Lens: Factors to Consider and Recommendations from the Community

CarolJenkins
Apprentice

As a photographer, I'm always looking for ways to improve the quality and versatility of my images. I've been using Canon cameras for a while now, but I still feel like I have a lot to learn about choosing the right lenses to achieve my creative vision. With so many different Canon lenses available, from prime to zoom, from macro to telephoto, it can be overwhelming to navigate the technical specifications and decide which ones will best suit my needs.

That's why I'm reaching out to the Canon community for advice. What are some of the key factors to consider when selecting a lens for my Canon camera? How do factors like focal length, aperture, and image stabilization impact the final image quality? And how can I determine which lenses will be the most versatile for a wide range of shooting situations, from landscapes to portraits to action photography?

Furthermore, I would love to hear about specific Canon lenses that you have found particularly useful or impressive in your own photography. Whether you're a seasoned professional or a hobbyist just starting out, I value your insights and recommendations and look forward to learning from your experiences.🙏

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What don't your lenses do for you now? What do you prize in your images?

For some people, sharpness is the be-all and end-all, yet others use Holgas and Lens-Babys.

You can use a tool like Photos or probably light room and get an idea what focal lengths you like to shoot at.

I could get by with three lenses: an 18-135 walk around lens, my 60mm macro and my 150-600mm super-telephoto zoom. Each has its place or special purpose.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Carol and welcome to the forum:

Given your inquiry is apparently of a general nature - that is you have provided no specifics on your gear or intent, I am answering in that same vein.

First, I don't think one can consider the lens in isolation.  It is part of a system with the body of the camera, or more specifically, the sensor.   Sensor size has a significant impact on how the optics engage with the camera and thus the choice of lenses one might make. 

So, FWIW, I offer access to two articles I wrote in general terms on the issue of what to consider when buying camera equipment.  They do not make specific comments on particular lenses but explore the factors that one should consider in making up one's own mind.

Considerations for Buying Camera Gear   and 

Focal Length, Field of View, Shutter Speed, Sensor Size & Equivalence 

I hope that these will be helpful in creating a foundation for further discussion

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Here are links to a couple of YouTube video series published by Canon USA for absolute beginners using a Rebel camera body.  One series is about the basics of photography.  One series is about the differences between lenses.  Remember, these videos are several years old, so the specific lenses and cameras you see may already be discontinued.

Canon USA : EF 101 Series : Lens Basics 

Canon USA : EOS 101 Series : Photography Basics 

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Completely agree with all the others that have replied.

One thing you'll learn is that "choosing the right lens" is better phrased as "choosing the right lens for a specific use-case/scenario".

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements