cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheer Mom needs help picking out a lense to capture the whole team in pics and video

Momakops
Apprentice

Hi All,

I'm a cheer mom and I own a T3i canon with 18-55mm lense.  I have no photography skills, just point and shoot.  I am looking to capture the full cheer team in photos and video.  Any recommendations on a lense that will help me?  Lighting is usually bright, I am just having an issue fitting the whole team in the video.

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

When you say fitting team in the video do you mean that image isn't wide enough to capture everyone (or maybe tall enough whenh they are in pyramid positions?

If so you either need to "zoom" backwards with your feet or invest in a wider lens. There are Canon and third party ultra-wide angle lenses for your camera that have a 10 in the lower number; i.e. 10-18 or 10-22.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

It's not wide enough to capture all the team members when spread out on the mat.

I'm not always able to go further back in order to get them all in view (many times in bleachers).  Even if I am able, they all seem so small, would like to get more of a close up.  I guess I'm asking too much, lol.

What is the difference between 10-18 and 10-22? Would this lense distort things at all? and would that lense offer image stabilizer? 

If taking video in gymnasium is that lighting sufficient, or does it require any attachments? Flash? Hood?

Sorry if these questions are very basic, as you can see, I'm not very experienced.

Here is a site that has a review on both lenses.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-10-18mm-f-4.5-5.6-IS-STM-Lens.aspx

The 10-22 will have slightly better low light performance, but the 10-18 has image stabilization and an STM focusing motor - both pluses for videoing. Its also less expensive.

I would suggest getting the 10-18 from a supplier that allows a return policy and give it a try.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

" Even if I am able, they all seem so small, would like to get more of a close up.  I guess I'm asking too much, lol."

Yes, I believe you are.  Even as advanced as digital photography has gotten, there are limitations to what can be done.

The main most important thing is where you stand or take the shot from.  This is more important than what gear you have.

In order to increase your "angle of view" (AOV) you are in fact reducing the center to accept more on the edges.  Make sense?

I doubt a 10mm lens is going to satisfy you.  But another "most important" point in photography is "angles".  Again combining with the "where you shoot from" point, you might try moving to one side and shoot from there.  I bet you are standing in the middle?  Of course the girl closest to you will be bigger but that is the 'give to get'  of all photography.  But it will likely be able to get all of them in the shot.  You can than move to the other side. Possibly while you are shooting?

If you are trying to set up with a single spot to shoot from I doubt you will ever get what you want.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements