cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon ef 70-200mm f/2.8l is ii usm vs sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sport

barclay4
Apprentice

Hello everyone, looking to buy a 70-200 for my canon r6. I will mostly use it to shoot indoor sports (basketball and volleyball) and weddings. Which of these two lenses do you think is better? The price for used ones is the same, the RF one is out of my budget at the moment Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

Definitely I agree with you. Similarly, i use this lens with the EF Extender 1.4x III like you and I am very pleased with the performance.👍

"I use the EF Extender 1.4x III with my EF 70-200mm"

Great... after 4 different Canon purchases in the last three months, I thought I was done for a long while.  I have been eyeing this extender.  Was hoping you would say "it's not that good" lol.  

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Fast action or a posed shot, the 70-200 f2.8 IS will get it for you with its extremely fast focusing.  Some Canon glass, like the EF 85 f1.2 has a learning curve and requires thought to get good images but I think I could shoot with the 70-200 f2.8 while half asleep and still get good images.  It will react to changing situations as quickly as you can which is part of what makes it such a killer lens for sports.

If I arrive at a sports event without the 70-200 2.8, I will have to conclude that I have lost my mind 🙂  These were some of the many shots I captured at a senior night basketball game last week with the EF 70-200 f2.8 and that lens and I will be back in the same gym Monday night for the first regional game.

Rodger

A48I4185.jpgA48I4212.jpgA48I4249.jpg

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

As always, much depends on what one photographs, under what conditions, for whatever output.  I would say that the requirements in terms of gear for shooting an indoor backet ball game are quite different from those for say, bird or macro wildlife shooting.  The focal lengths are very different - a basket ball court is a lot closer field compared to a baseball stadium, soccer stadium and certainly for birds and animals in the wild.  So, it's always horses for courses.  That is why I have a collection of different lenses and bodies for different scenarios - they are simply tools for a job.
For years I had the EF 70-200MkII L f/2.8 IS USM but because I don't need the weight since I don't shoot in such dark conditions, I was very happy to sell it and retain my EF 70-200MkII f/4 IS USM, as it is an excellent optic and much, much lighter.  So, there are many elements at play here: light, distance, subject speed, ergonomics, output.

To answer the question about shooting in relatively low light.  Certainly, the RF 24-240 offers versatility of focal range at the cost of aperture.  That said, my experience has been that the dynamic range of FF R-series sensors is a step up from what was available in the DSLR world, so one can shoot at higher ISO values, and these days there is excellent noise reduction software available with most PP software packages - both of those offer some compensation for that and allow for such a super zoom to function with decent results.

In terms of low light performance, the two images I took of the Takahe, now in the Share your Images section, were actually both taken in deep shadow, hand-held, available light and are a reasonable expectation of what one might experience in the field.  Given the narrow cone of capture, and the fact that both lenses had hoods on, reduced the impingement of light from brighter areas: and Takahe are not bright birds even if they are colourful.
R6, RF 200-800, 570mm, f/8, 1/640sec, ISO-400R6, RF 200-800, 570mm, f/8, 1/640sec, ISO-400  EOS R5, RF 100-500 1.6x crop 567mm(equivalent), f/9, 1/250sec, ISO-3200EOS R5, RF 100-500 1.6x crop 567mm(equivalent), f/9, 1/250sec, ISO-3200

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... I use the EF Extender 1.4x III with my EF 70-200mm ..."

One of the very few lenses I consider a good match up for a 1.4x tel-con extender. It works well, in deed.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements