cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 5D Mark III and Tamron lens

povfrome
Contributor

I have just ordered a EOS Mark III body and a Canon 70-200 F/2.8 II USM IS lens. Now I want a wide angle zoom lens to complete the package. I'm interested in a 24-70 f/2.8 lens. Canon's version does not have an image stabalizer and is over $2000. Tamron offers the same focal and aperture in their 24-70 f/2.8 with an image stabalizer for around $1300. Are there any issues concerning using a Tamron lens on a Canon body?

14 REPLIES 14

I'd buy the Tammy.

Thank you. I think I will.

If you have your mind and heart set on the Tamron, I would buy it.  Are you asking for permission or approval?  Smiley Frustrated

I doubt anything that is said here is going to change your mind. The 24-70mm f2.8 Tammy will work and work well on your 5D.

It would be interesting to see, after you have lived with the Tamron for a year, to hear of your feelings than about the IS.

I bet it changes.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for following up on me Bob. I actually ordered the Tamron yesterday. It wasn't so much approval as opinion. I do appreciate all of your opinions and I had already decided I wanted the IS so my choices were rather limited. My main concern was if there were any third party mounting issues that anyone had heard of. I know they sell adaptors for lenses and I wanted to make sure that it didn't need one which I was pretty sure it didn't. I had read articles of where the AF was affected but I think they were talking about cameras with crop factors like my 7d. I've had several Canon cameras and have never used third party lenses on them. I was very disappointed that Canon didn't offer IS in such an expensive lens as were so many reviewers. I realize to some photographers it's not an issue as I have had a few discussions with professionals and even photojournalists of how to compensate for the lack of IS....by adjusting the ISO, the shooting speed should be 1 to 2 times the reciprocal of the lens’s focal length, brace yourself against a tree, how steady your hands are and so on. I’ve even been told which aperture and shooting speeds to use in lowlight conditions. My background is from mostly commercial photography indoors in the days before the internet and DSLR cameras. I published my own magazine and did all the photography for my clients products. I used strobe lights and bounce umbrellas in a controlled environment. Now I’m retired and travel a lot and want to get more creative with outdoor photography. Which is why I want a wide angle zoom (the 24-70 f/2.8Tamron) that can give me a large range of focal distance in combination with my 70-200 f/2.8 Canon (with IS) in any light or dark situation. I use Lightroom and Gimp and realize I can adjust imperfections to a point. But to get print quality images I knew I had to step up from my 7D crop camera and kit lens. I bought my 7D to take pictures of my oil paintings which I sell prints of on my website and online, but now I want to get away from painting and start creating digital photographs since I plan to travel more. I plan on practicing with my new equipment which I don’t have yet (probably another week) before we leave for Puerto Rico in a few weeks. As for your bet Bob, I’ll have to turn the IS off and take some shots first. If in a year from now I get better shots with it off than with it on, you’ll be on the list (albeit near the bottom as there are others way ahead of you who have made the same bet), and I will put your check in the mail. 🙂

Thanks for your help everybody and I will be back to let you know if I have any problems.

That Tamron lens will fit your camera like socks on a rooster.. There are mant satisfied posters on "other" forums that love em....Just Sayin

Good luck and best regards,

George

Announcements