cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 75-300m Lens not focusing

Blake1
Apprentice

I recently bought a new lens, and it doesn’t seem to be focusing. The focus moves when I try to zoom in or out. When I use auto-focus, the lens focuses only when I’m zoomed out. When I'm zoomed in, it will only jitter back and forth.

12 REPLIES 12

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Return the lens for a refund. It shouldn't be broken. That's Canon's worst lens made. It's poor optically, lacks IS and uses slow Micro Motor AF motors l. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Blake1
Apprentice

What about the 70-300

From who Canon or 3rd Party. Canon has made 3 different models. One was a professional grade "L" lens. The other 2 are consumer grade. The current version II of the consumer grade lens is good. But what is your budget though.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

TO DEMETRIUS:

The OP has a 75-300, not the 70-300 to which I think you are referring when you talk about an L lens.  By now I am sure you are aware that I have a very low opinion of the 75-300.  That said, it's still supposed to autofocus.  It may be the lens, or the camera may not be getting sufficient contrast to make that focus, or it may be too close to the subject for the level of zoom.  We need more information.

To BLAKE:

To clarify your situation, can you please advise what types of subjects you are trying to focus on  and

how close you are to them when you have difficulty in getting a focus lock

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The OP later asked about a 70-300mm lens. So I was not responding to the original 75-300mm lens that they mentioned.

-Demetrius

OK sorry Demetrius, I was confused - there is no sign of that interchange on the screen I am looking at, just the OP and your two responses before mine.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

As to the other part AF issues. I'm not on my usual computer where I can see the whole post. I'm currently on vacation so I'm using my phone. So I can only get a limited view of the post.

-Demetrius

Lucky you to be on vacation!!  Where are you holidaying?

cheers, TREVOR

The U.S. Virgin Islands 🇺🇲🇻🇮. If you ever visit make sure you drive on the left. This is the only place under U.S. control to drive on the left. But the steering is also on the left like every other car in the U.S.

-Demetrius

click here to view the gallery
Announcements