cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 28-70mm f/2 smudge issue

fahadyunus
Contributor

Dear Canon Support Community,

I am writing to seek urgent assistance regarding an issue I have encountered with my Canon 28-70mm f/2 lens. In August of 2021, I noticed the presence of small smudge prints on the front element of the lens. It is important to note that the lens was in perfect condition the previous night, and I discovered the smudge prints when I woke up for a shoot. The smudges did not initially affect the images captured. However, this lens is crucial to my work as it serves as my primary lens for all my wedding shoots and personal projects.

Concerned about the smudges, I promptly took the lens to the Canon India Service center. Unfortunately, they immediately blamed me for scratching the lens surface, even though the lens was still under warranty at the time. Despite my insistence, they refused to accept the lens for further inspection to determine the cause of the issue. Their suggestion was to continue using the lens as it was not visibly affecting the images.

Now, fast forward to the present, the smudges on the lens have significantly increased in size and quantity. As a result, the quality of the images captured is visibly affected. I have attached pictures for your reference.

To my dismay, I have discovered that I am not the only person facing this issue. A quick search on various forums, including Reddit, reveals that at least five other individuals have experienced the exact same problem with the Canon 28-70mm f/2 lens. What is even more concerning is that none of the Canon Service team members have provided a definitive cause for this issue.

As a professional photographer and a loyal Canon customer for over a decade, I believe it is crucial to understand the root cause of the problem in order to prevent future occurrences and maintain trust in Canon's products and services. Has anyone in the community faced this issue? August 2021August 2021June 2023June 2023

24 REPLIES 24

If you're having an issue with your lens, we can only recommend sending it in to our Factory Service Center for an evaluation. We only know of issues when they are reported and validated in person by a trained technician. You can start the repair process at canon.us/account

I have submitted my proof of purchase and opened a ticket with Canon support. I also wanted to comment on here so others can see this is an ONGOING issue with CANON for this lens in particular, not user error. For a $3000+ lens, this should never occur. If anyone else is experiencing this, PLEASE submit a ticket to support. The more of us who speak out about faulty products, the more likely Canon will take action. 

the biggest issue with this is the $614 price tag that i have to authorize on my card to do so. this is not right!! 

Ttimetime
Apprentice

A lot of people are having the same problem with this lens, I personally feel it should have been a recall, I've had the coaing on my 28 to 70 peeling off also, I didn't use any solution on it, I didn't use any micro fiber cloths or anything like that It just started peeling on its own for whatever reason, I recently just sent it in for repair. Unfortunately for me my warranty was up And I had to pay $566 for the repair. This lens is very expensive, this should not be happening at all. 

lksupremestudio
Apprentice

For everyone claiming that the users must have done something this is 10000% wrong. if this were the case then all the users with this issue would have the same problem with all of our other EF and RF glasses. This issue is SPECIFIC to the 28-70 RF. No other lens has this issue. There is no way that we would ALLL be cleaning this glass incorrectly to cause this coating removal and none of our other lens not suffer the same fate. 

There ha to be some accountability from Canon that there was a manufacturing issue with the 28-70 RF lenses. 

Here are at least two other forums with users all mentioning the same thing 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4621345

https://www.reddit.com/r/canon/comments/rsfz9p/weird_marks_on_camera_i_have_an_rf_2870_and_was/

I'm benig made to pay $614 just to have this sent in to be reviewed and i have to put credit card information up front in order to do so. This is not right. We paid wayyy to much for this lens to have to chalk up $600+ for an issue that MULTIPLE users are complaining of only for this specific glass

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-13 at 23.37.49_3fe40c2b.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-06-13 at 23.37.49_d16570ed.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-06-13 at 23.37.49_fb3c45ab.jpg

Announcements