cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best starter lenses. Canon EOS 2000D

shido321
Apprentice

Hi All,

I bought a canon 2000D (Rebel T7) nearly a year ago now and never used it too much with the kit lens. A few weeks ago I decided to buy a 50mm f/1.8 lens from a secondhand shop and absolutely love it! It’s given me a much bigger passion for photography.

I currently focus on portrait photography but would love to get into nature photography fairly soon.

Are there any other lenses I should add? I was looking at a 10-18mm. As I’m still a beginner I’d like to keep each lens under £300/£350 in a secondhand shop (I went to London Camera Exchange).

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you asking should you buy the 10-18mm?  Of course you should and there are dozens more lenses you should buy. He/she who has the most lenses ... wins! Every lens brings its own best features and uses. Great to explore them on their own merits. I made a "hobby" out of testing and playing with as many different lenses as I could when I retired from my real job. I probably still have two dozen lenses but have settled on about three, perhaps four I use regularly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Remember for the most part, it is the lens that makes the photo. Not so much the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Shido:

Much depends on the kinds of subjects you want to photograph and that has a significant impact upon your choice of lens.  There are many other factors as well, and I outlined considerations you might want to cover in This guide 

So, you say that you like portrait photography, and the 50mm lens that you have purchased should work well for that.  On your 2000D it will actually work as a mild telephoto lens, which is perfect for portrait photography. 

Given that you say you want to get into nature photography, and to stick within your budget of  £300/£350 you will be somewhat challenged, as wildlife lenses tend to have a lot of optics and image stabilization, all of which adds to the price.

I would suggest one of the following options:  Look on line for the Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM f/4-5.6 lens.  There are two versions of this and either would work, but the Mk1 would likely be within your current budget.  I have written a comparison of the different versions of this lens with samples that may be of assistance at this link.  

If you can find If you were prepared to save up for a while that would allow you to go for the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens, which is an excellent unit for wildlife, with a vast focal range and image stabilization.

Likely at a slightly lower price point would be the Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary, while it has a significantly shorter reach it should be closer to your budget.

Definitely, I would suggest studying through books and on-line tutorials about the genres of photography you want to pursue.  The more you know about how cameras and lenses work, the better you will be at selecting gear, and will make the best use of it when you do get it.
If you have not done so, I would recommend joining a local photographic society, where you can engage with other photographers, and it is likely they will be happy to help you with hand-on assistance and you may be able to get to try out some lenses that other members have.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements