cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Pro Canon Lens To Buy

ardy97
Apprentice

I mostly shoot street, cars and planning to get into portrait photography.

i just ordered a canon 6d mkii with the 24-70 f4 which i find for my style will be good starting lens. but for my next lens i don't know what to get, i wouldn't mind a 70-200 but i also wouldn't mind something like an 85 prime since they're very sharp. what lens have you guys bought and you would suggest

i moved from a nikon crop so that's why i kind of have to start again

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

One of the best street photography lenses available is the Sigma Art 35mm f1.4 It's been herald as one of the sharpest lenses ever and does great in low light.

You are going to get a million suggestions as open ended as your question is.  I am retiring my 6D2 and EF glass.  It has many trips to Europe under its belt and has provided years of happy memories and service.  You will love it.  

I have everything fisheye to 600mm, both zooms and primes.  Personally, I find zooms to be much more versatile than primes, but they have their place and can provide dramatic results in many situations. If I had to choose between 35 and 85 (primes), I go with the 35.  The 85 is great and sharp just as you state, but it's really best for repetitive portraiture.  

If you only want to stick with Canon, then 16~35 2.8L.  This will rival the sigma in clarity and provide some additional options for your street and landscape shoots.  It won't do as well in low light, but it more than makes up for it with its zoom capability.

I'm starting over myself.  Just received my first RF lens.  24~70 2.8L

As I said, get ready for a bunch or recommendations.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

For outdoor portraits, EF 135mm f/2L USM

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements