cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Affordable Wide Angle Low Light Lens

Metalliogre
Contributor

Good Morning!

I am in search for a nice wide angle low light lens I can use on my 70D. I would prefer something under $500. I am looking to capture photos of the night sky and landscapes at all times of the day/night. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
Yes, it can do low light landscapes. First low light can be corrected for with slower shutter speeds. Between the wide angle and image stabilization with good technique you can handhold full one second exposures.

Also low light can be corrected by taking multiple photos and stacking them.

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

"You better stop it !  You are going to cause me to buy a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 lens.  Smiley Wink"

Actually, I use the cinema version of the lens 14mm T3.1.  Same lens, but with a declicked aperture, marked as T values.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Actually, I use the cinema version ..."

Does that indicate the QC is better, too?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Actually, I use the cinema version ..."

Does that indicate the QC is better, too?

It might.  It might not.  Who knows.  I've bought three of them, and all three perform better than expected for the price. 

I have purchased two of them, 14mm and 85mm, and both are very sharp when you get them dialed in.  Another 14mm that i bought for my videographer son is pretty sharp, too.  The 85mm is almost as sharp as my EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.  It does show a little CA at the edges of the DOF, which can be easily removed.

I ended up getting the Rokinon 14mm. What do I need to buy to get it to fit my Canon 70D?

I think someone sold me a Nikon lens when they advertised it being a Canon

Is there a way I can still use this with a ring and get the same quality?

Does it look like this (Nikon mount):

Nikon.jpg

Or this (Canon mount):

Canon.jpg

If it looks like the Nikon, you might as well return it.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Canon.jpg

If it looks like the Nikon, you might as well return it.

Yup, that's the EF mount.  I have a cinema version of this 14mm lens.  The shots I posted earlier were made with the lens focused at the hyperfocal distance.  After a little trial and error, which means about a dozen shots, I found the hyperfocal setting on my lens.

Do you see the white bar next to the "3 m" mark on the distance scale.  That is the reference mark.  The lens seems to be focused at a distance of 3 meters, and is using a aperture that is between f/16 and f/22.  The aperture ring is what it is.  Dial in whatever aperture that you want to use, or need.

So,, where did I find the hyperfocal settings?  Just "above" the 3 meter mark is an "L" shaped bar, that ends with the infinity mark.  The entire length of the of the "L" represents infinity focus, or hyperfocal focus.  Depending upon the nature of the ambient light, your hyperfocal distance can fall anywhere along that short reference line.

As it turns out, finding the hyperfocal setting in bright sunlight is pretty simple.  Just use the "foot" of the "L" shaped mark that represents infinty focus.  From that setting, I can adjust the DOF by dialing in different aperture settings.  Most of the time for landscape shots I can use f/5.6 with a lens this short.  With my 85mm, I seem to get better results at f/8,than f/5.6.

Metalliogre
Contributor
It says NI. Definitely Nikon.

Return it.  It will never work for you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements