cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24mm f/2.8 STM a good candidate to replace 18-55 kit lens?

AndyMilnePhotog
Enthusiast

I was wondering if the 24mm f/2.8 STM is a good replacement for my 18-55 kit lens for landscape/nature type of photography.

I was considering the 17-55 f2.8 IS USM lens, but it is very bulky and pricey for what it is even used around $500.

Factors about why I might buy the 24mm STM lens:

1. Sharper than the kit lens unsurprisingly

2. Fast f/2.8 aperture

3. Fixed FL lenses force me to be more creative composition-wise. I don't mind moving forwards and backwards to get the same framing. 

3. Compact/Lightweight

4. Metal Mount 

Question I have about the 24mm STM:

1. Is losing the 18-23mm range a big deal for landscape work? I am not concerned about losing the 25-55mm range because my 50mm f/1.8 STM pretty much covers the range well enough for most things (soon to be replaced by the 60mm f/2.8 USM macro).

Feel free to leave your opinions down below. 

Andrew
Nature Photography Hobbyist / Enthusiast
Canon EOS Rebel T6i
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First Andrew, I can't say enough good about the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  If you can't have the best in the world Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens, you want the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. . The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is an outstanding lens that gets you that constant fast f2.8 aperture.  Great IQ maybe not quite as good as a prime but certainly very good.

If money is tight is it a good idea to settle on a lesser lens?  You know it isn't don't you?  You are doing fine with what you have so save a bit longer for the real prize,  the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. Then sell your lens, you will never use it again.

24mm on a cropper is nearly a normal AOV. Set you current lens to 24mm and use it for a day. Don't change or zoom it at all. Is it working for you?  That will tell you a lot.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

"I found possibly a better lens that may be in my future, the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8."

I love this lens. Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon It may be the best lens there is in the range category.  I almost bought a T7i just so I could use the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.

EB

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

This is really a personal decision and you will get as many answers as there are photographers. I personally think that 38mm (35mm FOV equiv for 24mm APS-C)) is a bit narrow for landscape.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First Andrew, I can't say enough good about the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  If you can't have the best in the world Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens, you want the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. . The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is an outstanding lens that gets you that constant fast f2.8 aperture.  Great IQ maybe not quite as good as a prime but certainly very good.

If money is tight is it a good idea to settle on a lesser lens?  You know it isn't don't you?  You are doing fine with what you have so save a bit longer for the real prize,  the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. Then sell your lens, you will never use it again.

24mm on a cropper is nearly a normal AOV. Set you current lens to 24mm and use it for a day. Don't change or zoom it at all. Is it working for you?  That will tell you a lot.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I was considering to get the 10-18mm IS STM     

with the pancake lens. However, I was thinking later on: Is it more convenient to change one of the two lenses to get the shot I want or would I want the same range as the kit lens only with a wider f/2.8 aperture w/ IS? I would get the latter.

I also realised that the cost of the 10-18mm IS STM & the pancake lens combined would only be $100-150 less than a used 17-55mm f2.8 IS lens. 

For now, I'll still use my 18-55 kit lens until then.

Thanks again Ernie for helping me out. 🙂

Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

Wait a minute, screw the 24mm f/2.8 STM. Smiley Tongue

I found possibly a better lens that may be in my future, the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8.

How does it compare with the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 performance-wise? 

I heard it is sharper than the Canon 17-55 f/2.8. They're similarly priced, I think used ($500-$600) or new ($800). 

Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

"I found possibly a better lens that may be in my future, the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8."

I love this lens. Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon It may be the best lens there is in the range category.  I almost bought a T7i just so I could use the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.

EB

Update: While it is a great & well built lens, some people said that the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 backfocuses or frontfocuses & that the autofocus is more inconsistent than a first- party Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS. I know there is a USB dock for Sigma that may fix these issues but idk about their reliabilty. 

One more question, Ernie. Since you said I am fine with what I have (18-55mm kit lens), should I get the 10-18mm for the ultrawide fov & keep my kit lens or do I still go for your original recommendations

selling my kit lens and buy the 17-55 f2.8 IS/18-35 f1.8? It doesn't matter really. I shoot landscapes more than portraits.

Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

Well you know you have to make that decision I can't make it for you.  If it were me I suppose getting the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens would add a new dimension to what you already have. I think I would go that route.  I think maybe waiting to upgrade a lens you already have might be more interesting to you.  After all it is working for you.

You decide!  Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Well you know you have to make that decision I can't make it for you.  If it were me I suppose getting the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens would add a new dimension to what you already have. I think I would go that route.  I think maybe waiting to upgrade a lens you already have might be more interesting to you.  After all it is working for you.

You decide!  Smiley Happy

As Mario would say, "okey dokey!" Smiley Very Happy

Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i
Announcements