cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24-70mm f2.8 II USM.....

TheRogue
Enthusiast

I have a feeling this question might have been asked before. I may be wrong!

The zoom lock - is this like a safekeeping in transport mode? If not, why not the lock on any zoom setting?  I would assume a zoom lock would be usueful for somethng like zoom creep or whatever (not that I have experienced zoom creep with this lens). But that is usually lenses with barrel zoom control as opposed to zoom rings.  Just curious is all! I love the lock - but how much more useful would it be on infinite zoom settings?

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A few lenses have the ability to lock at any focal length.  However the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II only has the transport lock.  The lenses that can lock at any focal length are all long focal length zooms, I believe.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yeah, transport lock - that was the term I was looking for!  Pity though its not a full blown zoom lock!

@TheRogue wrote:

Yeah, transport lock - that was the term I was looking for!  Pity though its not a full blown zoom lock!

On the other hand, why need a lock at all for this size of zoom lens?  I never use it on mine...never needed to, even for transport - like you said, it doesn't extend by itself.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

This is true. I'm thinking maybe some kind of exacting critical work off a tripod possibly and with remote release. Something for someone who likes to cover ALL the bases however unlikely there would be lens creep or movement.  I do actually see the point of the lock for transport purposes. it means the internals are kept rock steady. Can't be too careful with an £1800 lens!  You can hear the insurance companies now can't you, "Ah but did you have the lock on? No? Oh well sir, then we canot possibly pay out."

@diverhank wrote:

@TheRogue wrote:

On the other hand, why need a lock at all for this size of zoom lens?  I never use it on mine...never needed to, even for transport - like you said, it doesn't extend by itself.

Maybe it doesn't extend that way now... when it's relatively new. But a few years down the road the zoom mechanism might loosen up a bit and the lens will start "self-extending".

The original 24-70/2.8, 24-105mm, 28-135mm and lots of other lenses do. I'd rather have a "zoom lock" available, even if not needed now... than not have one and find I want it in the future.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

"Maybe it doesn't extend that way now... when it's relatively new. But a few years down the road the zoom mechanism might loosen up a bit and the lens will start "self-extending".

The original 24-70/2.8, 24-105mm, 28-135mm and lots of other lenses do. I'd rather have a "zoom lock" available, even if not needed now... than not have one and find I want it in the future."

Amen, brother!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM has what you want.   In addtiion to a focus ring and zoom ring, it also has a an adjustable tension ring labeled "smooth <--> tight".  In one direction it zooms as easily in any lens... in the other direction it can clamp the zoom in place so there's no possibility of zoom creep.  But you can set it anywhere in the midde... you can have no tension, a little tension, a lot of tension... or just clamp it tight completely so it refuses to move (basically a lock).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements