cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

17mm ts-e f/4 l lens Aperture Control on R5 Camera

Archimagine
Contributor

I just purchased a "like new" R5 body and A "like new" Canon 17 mm Tilt shift lens. (this is my only body and my only lens so far)

The control ring on the camera will not operate the aperture on the lens.  The setting on the camera  reads f00  in manual mode.

Setting had been made to allow shutter to operate without lens attached (needed for a manual lens)

The adaptor  is made by JJC (not Canon).

This combination (except for the adaptor) is used by many architectural photographers so I believe the cameral and lens should communicate.

Though the equipment was purchased used on ebay, I believe both sellers were original owners.

Can anyone direct me on this?

15 REPLIES 15

The Canon TS-E 14mm F/4 lens has electronic contacts and has electronic aperture control just like other EF lenses. It just doesn't support AF like other EF lenses. The camera should give focus confirmation with all TS-E lenses and the MP-E 65mm manual focus macro lens.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM & EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Are you by chance using the Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 STM if so that lens uses an Electronic Focus Ring. Make sure Manual Focus After One Shot/ Lens Electronic Manual Focus is Enabled. IF NOT the electronic focus ring WILL NOT WORK.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM & EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Control Ring - Best price I've seen and free shipping.

Search Results | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Hoping its your adapter

shadowsports_0-1675476982830.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

amfoto1
Authority

Since you have had the same problem with two different EF lenses adapted for use on the RF mount camera, I would suspect the adapter itself is at fault. It's possible it has a short in the electronic connections, for example. Try a different adapter.

If I were working with a 17mm TS-E lens, I'd want one of the adapters that can accommodate drop in filters, because that lens cannot be fitted with standard filters.

Canon offers a drop-in adapter with choice of C-Pol or Variable ND filter. A clear filter for it is sold separately and is necessary in order to use the adapter without any filtration. You also can buy the C-Pol filter alone, if you got the adapter with the Vari ND... or vice versa.

There are 3rd party alternatives too. Kolari, Meike and Breakthrough are three brands that come to mind.

Meike's adapter is offered with a Vari ND and includes a clear filter as well. C-Pol and a dozen other types of special effects filters are available for it. Reviews are quite favorable.

Kolari offers more combinations and an even wider array of special effects filters.

Breakthrough Photography claims to have the widest selection of all. They have fewer special effects and more fixed strength ND filters, as well as some specialized for black & white, etc. Breakthrough also offers two different price/quality levels: more affordable "2X" and more premium "4X". There are differences in the glass and in the multi-coatings on the two different grades of filters.

AFAIK none of these drop-in filter systems are interchangeable.

There are other lenses where a drop-in adapter would be very helpful, such as Canon and other 14mm lenses, Canon EF 11-24mm, Sigma's 12-24mm in EF mount, etc.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Thanks for the references.  I was thinking I would buy the Canon adaptor with the drop ins.  But given I had 3 new pieces of equipment that were not communicating, I opted to buy the less expensive adaptor during the trouble shooting phase.  Now that it was determined that the JJC adaptor was the culprit and that the R5 and the lens do in fact communicate, I still need a way to install filters on the TS lens.

I may just return the basic Canon adaptor for the filter adaptor.

Many Thanks!

I managed to purchase the EF/Rf adaptor with the CP filter.  I ended up keeping both the filter adaptor and the basic adaptor.  

Announcements