cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10-18mm on an APS-C

Iggythetiggy
Enthusiast

I'm looking at buying a lower power lens for my 7Dmk1. My lowest zoom currently is my 18-55mm kit lens, and even with it , it leaves me wishing I could zoom further back. I've seen a ton on the 10-18mm for sale on the Marketplace, and all will usuly say, hardly used, or like new. Telling me maybe they aren't quite the lens they hoped for. Case in point, I hiked up to an old place I loved to go near Mt. Baker here in Washington, called Nooksack falls. It's a beautiful overlook but the quarters are tight to get a decent pic of the falls without having the safety fence in the frame. Or would a fixed prime lens of lower power, or a decent wide angle? I've got a cheap "accessory" wide angle adaptor that screws on the 18-55mm but being 1.4 it leaves the typical vingette from the extra distance of the adaptor in the frame. So what is everyone using for APS-C cameras, and low power or wide angle that won't break the bank. I would of had a beautiful b**bleep**bof the falls had I been able to get further back of had a wide angle lens. 

FB_IMG_1604286102630.jpg

12 REPLIES 12

OK, all the best. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ordered a refurbished 10-18mm today. Should have it after Thanksgiving. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The two choices in a UWA zoom lens are;

Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens and  Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens. There is over a hundred dollar difference in price so what does that get you?

The Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens gives nothing up to the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens in terms of sharpness, they are neck and neck. Actually the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens displays a more uniform sharpness when you compare it with the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens according to the tests I have read. I have neither nor have I used either one. Just reading the charts.

The EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens has a bigger objective at 77mm than the 67mm of the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.  Because it is more difficult to make a sharp, faster, lens with a larger front end, the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens scores slightly higher in resolution. Now in real world will yo usee this?  No, I doubt it so it boils down to, is it worth $100+ bucks for almost a stop faster lens?  Remember you get IS with the  EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens and you don't with the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens.

My choice would be buy the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens, save the hundred bucks and love the IS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements