cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Search Area To Scan" Message - What does this mean?

andyodom7
Apprentice

Hello,

About a year ago I bought a Canon MX450 printer & scanner, and I don't think it's ever worked properly. I usually have to reinstall the drivers every couple of uses, and the wi-fi feature has never worked properly so it's always connected to my MacBook Air vis USB in order to print.

Today, all of the sudden, the scanner tool started telling me to "Select Area To Scan", instead of actually, you know, scanning. Problem is, I can't find any item in Canon documentaiton (online or otherwise) telling me what the heck that means or what to do about it. Even a Google search is fruitless. Pretty frustrating when a printer/scanner will neither print nor scan properly. Anyone have any clue? 

6 REPLIES 6

Ramona
Authority

Hi andyodom7,

So we can better assist you, please let us know what program you are using to scan.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

JKolka
Apprentice

I appear to have been having a similar or the same problem.  Two Canon printer/scanners that previously worked just fine with my MacBook Air have been acting up a lot.

I currently have the MG2520 plugged in and, when I click "scan" I get this message: "Please select area to scan." Nothing scans.  I am trying to scan via "System Preferences".

Please advise how to fix this problem and start scanning again.

Thank you in advance.

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

The issue that you described may be related to the option that was used to scan.  If the Scangear option was selected in the IJ Scan Utility program, a window will allow that will prompt you to preview the image and then select your desired area for scanning.  Please try using the Photo or Document buttons in the IJ Scan Utility to scan your image.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the reply.

Following your instructions a few days ago, I had success scanning.  Today, I have not had any luck at all! What should I do?

Scanning through "System Preferences" just worked.  

Scanning through system preferences utilizes the Apple scanning driver/software. For consistent results you will want to use the IJ Scan Utility from your applications folder, under Canon Utilities.
Announcements