cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing black squares around image

Bethanguy
Apprentice
Hello, wondering if you're able to help? When I'm printing images from a pdf in colour, a black square prints around the image. When printing in black and white it doesn't show up. I have tried printing from google drive and from adobe acrobat.
please can you help?
thank you
7 REPLIES 7

Danny

Hi, Bethanguy!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using and which operating system is running on your computer (i.e. Windows or Mac OS, and which version thereof). That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Hi!  I am having the exact same issue!  It's just when it is trying to print images (for example I print worksheets for my son with a maze on it and the entire image area is black but the trim around it is normal.  It's not the letterboxing issue referenced below, it only happens with pictures that the teachers made it looks like, and you're supposed to be able to see through them (there was a shapes worksheet that had the same issue too).  They are PDFs but the other pictures and everything else prints fine.

I have the Canon G7020 and a Mac

I am having the same issue. I either get black sqaures or the entire image is a black sqaure. Also a MacOS (Catalina), G6020 printer. Also occurs with AirPrint from iPad. Does not happen on Windows OS.

Update: The issue does not occur when using Adobe Reader, so the problem has something to do with Apple's native Preview app.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Bethanguy wrote:
Hello, wondering if you're able to help? When I'm printing images from a pdf in colour, a black square prints around the image. When printing in black and white it doesn't show up. I have tried printing from google drive and from adobe acrobat.
please can you help?
thank you

Are you referring to "letterboxing"?

LB.png

If so, your aspect ratio (portrait vs. landscape) or scaling is set incorrectly for the media or format you are printing to.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Shar36
Apprentice
I am having this same exact issue with my canon Ts9120. For the past year I was printing from my Android Samsung galaxy phone & I was smooth sailing! I just recently switched over to Apple IPhone (worse decision) & I noticed I am having all sorts of funky printing issues going on. These black boxes over the images seems to be my latest issue. I definitely agree with you about the Apple native preview app, Definitely has something to do with Apple! 😤🙄

Hi Shar36,

Please contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives via phone or chat. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements