cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer says "not responding" but afterwards prints

Baradeck
Contributor

I have a Canon Pixma MG5300. When I go to print e.g. a document, the Printer will say it's ready. A little window will pop up down on the right side of the Taskbar and says "Printer not responding." After a minute or so, the document will print but the message on the little popup window still says "Printer not responding."

At times, when turning the Printer on, it'll tell me Printer is offline. It seems it fixes itself after a minute or two but not as to sure why. 

I found a similar problem scanning. It seems it doesn't click with the computer then suddenly, the way it goes. 

Has anyone an idea as to how I can fix these problems? 

(I'm using Windows 10 / 64 bit)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"I guess my question would be, is there a way to have that loooooooooooooooooong delay put out of the way" 

Uh, yes and no.  The computer goes through those long delays for a variety of reasons, most of which are related to virus and malware protection software.  If you want your computer to be protected, then you will have to live with the delays.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Ignore it.  It still works, doesn't it?

Why does it happen?  The short answer is that security in your OS is preventing outside programs from communicating, also known as eavesdropping, on your running applications, which in this case is your printer driver, and reading what it is that you're printing.  The long answer.....well, that's complicated.  The watchdog timers are not responding ....., etc.

If you are using Windows, you can open up the Task Manager and see various programs occasionally go into "not responding" mode.  A good example of this is MS Outlook when it communicating with a POP3 email server on the web. 

That's wonderful then! Is there anything I can do to curtail it from doing that? Also, each time I turn on the scanner, I get the same exciting message which says "no scanners detected." After 5 minutes or so, even five minutes and thirteen seconds, the scanner will kick in. 

I guess my question would be, is there a way to have that loooooooooooooooooong delay put out of the way. 

"I guess my question would be, is there a way to have that loooooooooooooooooong delay put out of the way" 

Uh, yes and no.  The computer goes through those long delays for a variety of reasons, most of which are related to virus and malware protection software.  If you want your computer to be protected, then you will have to live with the delays.

I'll live with the longer delays. Thank you for your help! 

Someone should have mentioned "update your Drivers." Not sure why this wasn't mentioned here because usually that is the first thing to be advised. Whatever, it should have been said.

Anyway, I did download the latest Drivers and Presto! It made no difference whatsoever. Even the XPS Driver made no difference as to the time for the computer and Printer to sync. So yes, I'll still have to wait a few minutes for the two critters to come together before printing or scanning. 

Announcements