cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG2120 printer physically connected but queue says "printer not connected" Mac OS X Yosemite

erikanorth0918
Apprentice

Been using the same MacBook Pro and Canon MG2120 printer for 2 years, no problems.  But today went to print and printer queue states "printer not connected" even though the cord has always been connected. I restarted botht my Mac and the printer, and updated the drivers. Recently updated mac software to OS X Yosemite but printer has worked fine since then. What should I do next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi erikanorth0918,

If you have another USB cable that you can use to connect the printer to your Mac, please try that cable to see if this will allow you to print without error.  If you still receive an error, resetting the print system on your Mac, then reinstalling the drivers may resolve the issue.  To reset the print system, please follow these steps:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.

2. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears. After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences should be empty. If your printer is still listed on the left select your printer and then click the minus (-) button to delete it.

3. Restart your Mac.

Next, please click here to go to the Drivers and Software page for the PIXMA MG2120.  Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" drop-down menu is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system.

2. Next, please click on the red arrow next to the "RECOMMENDED FOR YOU" section and click on the CUPS drivers file. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear. Please click on the checkbox below the DOWNLOAD button, then click the red DOWNLOAD button to begin the download. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Once you have downloaded and installed the CUPS driver file from the website, please also install all other items from the Recommeded for You and Drivers section of the website. 

Once all items have been downloaded, please double-click on each of the items to install them on your Mac.  Once all items have been reinstalled, please restart your Mac and attempt to print.  

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ramona
Authority

Hi erikanorth0918,

If you have another USB cable that you can use to connect the printer to your Mac, please try that cable to see if this will allow you to print without error.  If you still receive an error, resetting the print system on your Mac, then reinstalling the drivers may resolve the issue.  To reset the print system, please follow these steps:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.

2. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears. After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences should be empty. If your printer is still listed on the left select your printer and then click the minus (-) button to delete it.

3. Restart your Mac.

Next, please click here to go to the Drivers and Software page for the PIXMA MG2120.  Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" drop-down menu is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system.

2. Next, please click on the red arrow next to the "RECOMMENDED FOR YOU" section and click on the CUPS drivers file. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear. Please click on the checkbox below the DOWNLOAD button, then click the red DOWNLOAD button to begin the download. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Once you have downloaded and installed the CUPS driver file from the website, please also install all other items from the Recommeded for You and Drivers section of the website. 

Once all items have been downloaded, please double-click on each of the items to install them on your Mac.  Once all items have been reinstalled, please restart your Mac and attempt to print.  

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I needed to replace the cord. Thanks for your help!

I am having the same problem, but with my Pixma MG6820 Series 2.  It shows up, and says it is offline, but default and says it is not connected.  Above it says Canon MG6800 series and it is idle.  

It will print a header of a business and a link, and NOTHING else..... I have cleaned the drivers and downloaded the latest utility driver.  Would I be able to do the same thing?  How do I know if I have the right parts?  If I downloaded the correct driver utility, how do I make sure it is finding my printer?  

Hi, mtguidos!

Thanks for reaching out to Canon USA!

If you've tried the above troubleshooting, and you're still having issues, we recommend reaching out to support.

For the PIXMA MG6820 printer, you'll find support options HERE.

If you're outside of the USA, you'll want to reach out to Canon in your country/region by clicking HERE.

Announcements