cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX522 PDF manual shows up as an EXE file

MrSP
Contributor

When I try to download the manual for MX522 Printer, although it says it's a PDF file, I get a .exe file.
pml_-win-mx520-1_1-en.exe

When you advertise a PDF as a resource, please make it a PDF not a trojan.
No thanks Canon, I don't want some garbage application installed just to see a PDF.

MrSP_0-1699027792850.png

Hop Hop
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

normadel
Authority
Authority

The User Manual download  is a compressed archive containing  five manuals.

When you run it, it gets expanded into a folder  with the manual PDF files. It does not install anything.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

normadel
Authority
Authority

The User Manual download  is a compressed archive containing  five manuals.

When you run it, it gets expanded into a folder  with the manual PDF files. It does not install anything.

MrSP
Contributor

I prefer to download and see PDFs when PDFs are listed for download. Confusing otherwise.
Thanks for the insight.

Hop Hop

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Its a self extracting .ZIP, provided as a convenience.  

shadowsports_0-1699733661609.pngshadowsports_1-1699733692631.png

Here is the contents:

shadowsports_2-1699733800420.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

It's just a way to wrap up multiple related files in one unit, instead of having separate downloads. It's done in lots of places.

MrSP
Contributor

I know what a self extracting file is, but not everybody knows it.
Assuming that there might be a variety of Canon printers users, I'd prefer the title of download file to match the file I'm downloading or at least to be a note, explaining there's a set of files in a self extracting zip file.
From my screen shot, original post, you can see there's no mention of multiple files, or an .exe file.
As innocuous as it may seem to some, it is not taking into account anxious ppl out there.
Signin out.

Hop Hop

It is an absolutely ridiculous practice to force the download of an .exe in place of any other format to convey these documents to the user.

Not only is it a massive violation of cybersecurity best practices by setting up a textbook platform for a man-in-the-middle attack, it will also automatically be blocked by any enterprise network with even minimal security in place.  

This is a really terrible way to "support" your users and is absolutely not doing good things for the perception of Canon as a vendor in the eyes of corporate and government IT departments. Ask me how I know.... 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements