cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG5720 Scanner Issues - "Cannot Read or Write File"

efrueh
Apprentice

I have a PIXMA MG5720 Printer/Scanner I have had for years and loved. I just got a new MacBook with macOS Monterey 12.2.1. I transferred over all of my applications from my old laptop, including the Canon IJ Scan Utility2. It prints just fine, but will not scan. I tried downloading and installing the driver again and that did not work. When I try to scan, it says, "Searching for a scanner" and then a message pops up saying, "Cannot Read or Write File." I have shut down both my computer and the printer, unplugged it and plugged it back in. Same problem. That's the extent of my technical capabilities. Any solutions?

p.s. I hate that I can't call 1-800-Canon to receive support without an account anymore. I used to get great service from the Canon folks who answered that line. 

1 REPLY 1

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi efrueh,

The PIXMA MG5720's scanner driver is not available for macOS 12.  The PIXMA MG5720 is compatible with Airprint, so this can be used to scan.

Please download and install the "Lite" version of the IJ Scan Utility.  This is available here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-s...

Once that page has loaded, please click the Select button next to "IJ Scan Utility Lite Ver.3.3.1 (Mac)" and then the Download button.  When the download is complete, please open / run it to begin the installation.  Once installed, please us the IJ Scan Utility Lite to scan with your PIXMA MG5720.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements