cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G7020, why does my computer not show a FAX

treasuredphotos
Contributor

I set up my Pixma 7020 on my computer and also on my wife's computer.  My wife's computer shows a FAX in the settings Printers and Scanners.  However, my computer does not show a FAX.  I even reinstalled the software and drivers software and it did not change.  Why does one computer show FAX and the other does not?  I do not want to use the FAX to ever receive a FAX only to send one if needed.

9 REPLIES 9

normadel
Authority
Authority

Is there an option in the printer installation to install fax capability or not? Was it selected for one computer and not the other? Does your computer have a phone-line modem connector?

Tiffany

Welcome to the forum!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know which version of Windows or macOS are you using? Do you connect to your printer using a USB cable or WiFi? Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.  If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE

Thank you!

I am using Windows 10.  The printer and my computer are connected with an ethernet cable.  I did not see anything during the installation saying anything about connecting an FAX on either machine.  Oh, both computers are Windows 10.

normadel
Authority
Authority

Faxing is done over telephone lines. That's why your printer has a telephone jack on it. Is it connected to a phone line?

The Fax capability has to be installed in Windows. Look at your printer installation manual. When I do installs of my multifunction printer I choose a custom install, which lets me choose what features to install. Faxing is one that I do not install.because I don't need fax capability. 

Oh, forget my question about your computer having a modem. It doesn't have to. The printer has the modem.

When I installed the printer software and drivers on my wife's computer, I was positive I did it exactly as I did on my computer.  That is why I am confused.

Did you ever get this sorted?  Mine is missing the fax as well, and I didnt' see any options come up during the install.   Not sure what I'm missing.

WILLIM
Enthusiast

G7080 Driver setup package (Windows):This file will download and install the driver needed to set up and utilize your product. Once complete, you will be able to install software to enhance the product's functionality.

G7080 MP Drivers v.1.01 (Windows)  :  Only the printer driver support the server OS.
Except for Scanner Driver, WIA driver, Fax driver, IJ Scan Utility and IJ Network Scanner Selector EX2.

So, if you want to install the fax driver, you need to install G7080 Driver setup package

• G7020 Driver setup package (Windows 7, 8.1, 10, 11) To begin download, Click Here.
• G7000 series MP Drivers (Windows 7, 8.1, 10, 11) To begin download, Click Here.

Thanks, Willim.  I'll take a look at that. 
And this isn't directed at you, as a contributor, of course.  But I find it odd that I'd have to get the driver for a G7080 to set up faxing on my multifunction G7020.  But given how clunkiness of the rest of the process, it's not surprising, I guess.  It's clear that Canon is more of a hardware company than a software company, because the setup process isn't nearly as smooth as competitors like HP.  The lack of real support, at least for the setup portion is disappointing.  Definite buyers remorse going on here.

I tried to download the G7020 driver setup and got this:

Error 404--Not Found

From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:

10.4.5 404 Not Found

The server has not found anything matching the Request-URI. No indication is given of whether the condition is temporary or permanent.

If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 403 (Forbidden) can be used instead. The 410 (Gone) status code SHOULD be used if the server knows, through some internally configurable mechanism, that an old resource is permanently unavailable and has no forwarding address.

???  Not sure what to do?

Announcements