cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to replace my HP Photosmart 7520. TS9521Ca feature direct disk print?

tibberous
Apprentice

My HP PhotoSmart 7520 broke. The roller that first grabs the paper stopped working, and of course, it's not easily serviceable. So, not only am I out a printer, but probably $50 in ink 😞

I don't have a lot of money (bout $200), but print A LOT, and am trying to get a printer that will do a lot. I also scan a lot of multipage documents, so I also need a feed scanner.

I was looking at the TS9521Ca. The 2 biggest things I need are:

1) feed scanner
2) works with generic inks

But the 3rd thing I want is the ability to use it with a tray to be able to print directly to Inkjet PVC cards and CD/DVD's. 

My HP Photosmart I don't think can do that. It has a photo tray, but the people who make ID PVC trays I don't think make them for HP 😞

This tray SAYS it works with the TS9521Ca. https://brainstormidsupply.com/pvc-card-tray-for-canon-mp-tray-printers-ts82xx-ts95xx.html

*IF* that is right, then I'll probably buy the TS9521Ca , but I am a little worried. My HP PhotoSmart 7520 has an actual tray that Photo paper gets loaded into. 

The old Pixama's from like 10 years ago seemed to feature "direct disk print". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICGWeK-K0cE

I don't know if the new ones don't have it, or if it just isn't mentioned. The TS8020  could do it, it says right in the manual. But the TS8020 is discontinued and impossible to find new and doesn't have a feed scanner. I really don't have the space for multiple printers - I thought about just keeping my broken 7520 and using it as a scanner /  photo printer, and then buying another printer that could print inkjet PVC cards / DVD's / regular stuff.

I just wish manufactures wouldn't discontinue printers and replace them with models that can't do as much as the older ones could. Imagine if every truck manufacture got rid of tow hitches, and if you wanted to tow something the only way to do it was to buy a 10 year old vehicle. And printers aren't like vehicles that can be replaced and kept going - they are basically disposable. So when the industry moves backwards as far as what it can do, you re kind of stuck moving backwards with it. Is the reason "direct to disk" print was removed is because it was moved to a more expensive line? Like, now you need a $500 printer to do what a $200 could do 10 years ago? Or is the feature just lost? 

But, the brainstorm site says their tray works with the TS9521Ca - I'm just afraid that's a typo and they don't know that the direct to disk tray was removed somewhere between TS8020 and TS8020  and TS9521Ca .

The TS9521Ca seems like an awesome printer otherwise. There is a lot of stuff I don't NEED it to do but that might be cool - like being able to print  at12x12. But that isn't super useful - portraits are generally 11x14 after 8x10, and you can do that on any printer. The 12" width is kind of made useless by the 12" height.

Does anyone know more about this, and IF I can still get something that lets me do ID cards / discs?

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements