cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My MX882 will not print. I get the message "Printer not responding"

RJC
Apprentice

It has worked flawlessly for 18 months and there have been no system changes except for a recent WIndows security update.  This problem only affects my Dell laptop (Windows XP);  my MacBook Pro prints just fine over the network.  After speaking to Canon Tech Support three times and reinstalling the software twice, I have run out of ideas.  After the reinstalls, the printer does not show up in the Control Panel Devices and Faxes or the Device Manager, but the scanner function does work;  apparently that driver installed properly, but not the printer driver.

Tech Support has theorized that there is a security policy issue on my laptop preventing the installation of the NT 4.0 driver, and that I should contact Dell.  I got nowhere with Dell on this matter.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Update:  I unistalled the MP drivers and reinstalled from the Canon website.  The Setup Results show that the printer, scanner and fax drivers were installed and the printer now appears on the Control Panel Devices and Faxes page with a Ready status.  It does not show up on the Device Manager.  I also unistalled the latest Windows Security updates and restarted the laptop.   No luck.... I still can not print, but can scan. 

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?   Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Please try to temporarily disable any firewall or anti-spyware programs that are on the system.  These programs may be preventing communication with the printer.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the link below for additional assistance.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I was able to solve the problem by changing the Bit Defender adapter rules;  adding the printer as a trusted zone.

I only use Windows Defender. Its firewall has not interferred with access to my WiFi printer before. Could I be wrong?

Hi fastartcee.

Any antivirus has potential to interfere with the printer's communications, especially after a major software or dictionary update.

You can try removing the "MX880 series" printer (both from Devices & Printers and from the Control Panel's Programs & Features list), then reinstalling using the latest version of the MP Driver (MX882 Drivers & Downloads page).  If the MP Driver doesn't reinstall correctly, try disabling Windows Defender and running the installation again.

Since Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, manufactures do not likely maintain copies of the Dot Net framework 4.0 upgrade, and Windows Updates may no longer be available for your system.  If there's anywhere safe the update will be available, it would be through Microsoft's support site (non-Canon web address: support.microsoft.com).

JadeColbert
Apprentice

Hey guys!  I FIGURED IT OUT!!!  *MAC USERS ONLY*. *MAY ALSO WORK FOR WINDOWS USERS*

I read all of your comments and researched countless posts and videos: none of them worked.  Nothing gave me the answer...

I was doing some spring cleaning and revamping the organization of my apartment and decided to move my Cannon MX882 printer in my bedroom (from the living room) so it could be closer to my Wifi and MacBookPro that I have connected to a larger monitor screen.  For some reason when I unplugged the printer and moved it into my bedroom, my MacBookPro couldn't find the printer anymore.  It kept saying "printer not responding".  I fixed this issue on a fluke really...  I kept playing around with both the printer and re-deleting and re-adding the printer to my MacBook.  I don't know what happened, but it works now.  

Here's the tedious efforts I did to fix my issue: (I played arround with this for hours before I discovered the following)

- ON THE PRINTER:

--Click on the stand-alone "Setup" button on the left that has the blue light

--Scroll the arrow to the right and select "Device Settings"

--Scroll down to "LAN Settings":  You'll want to ensure the the "Wireless LAN" setting is active by selecting it/making it active

---Also be sure that the WiFi button is lit up in the color blue which tells you that it is connected to your Wi-Fi

---You'll probably want both your computer and printer to be on the same exact network.  (Both of mine are on 5G)

I ALSO TRIED BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THIS HELPED MY SUCCESS:

---Print your LAN Settings page: Under "LAN Settings" arrow down to "Confirm LAN Settings":  This will tell you what your IP address is if you want to go the extra mile and try adding it to your computer this way.  (This is also known as the Network Configuration page but you won't find this wording on the printer)

----It took me approximately ten times to delete and add the printer...Adding the Default Gateway Addresss seemed to get my MACBook going (though It seemed to search for the printer for a long time, I eventually canceled the search but this was progress from using the regular IP address)...  The regular IP Address didn't work for me but you can try both.  (For Mac users: Under System and Preferences (click on the apple), after selecting the priter and devices, select "IP" and you can try adding re-adding the printer that way.)

After I performed all of the above, my MacBook was able to print to my MX880 series (*Note don't get stuck on the series numbers i.e. 882 and 880 series is the same thing.)  

Announcements