cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5420: Can I use wireless AND USB?

kjc1961
Apprentice

My situation is unique.  I have an older desktop PC with no wifi capability and no spare slot to put in a wifi card.  I therefore need to utilize the USB in order to print.  However, I also have a wireless capable laptop, iPad3, two iPhone 5 phones that need to print wirelessly.  Is my desktop now stranded without a printer (NOT GOOD!) or is there some way to have both wireless as well as wired so my printer will work on all devices?  FYI:  Desktop is a Dell PC utilizing Windows 7.  Printer is currently pluged into USB but set for wifi (I assumed it would see and use both), but only the wireless devices can print.  Thanks in advance.

Kevin

3 REPLIES 3

Ebony
Rising Star

Hello kjc1961,

The printer is capable of communicating simultaneously while connected via USB as well as Wirelessly. Does the printer show up in device manager on the PC that is connected via USB?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

No, it does not show up on device manager.  And to reiterate, it will only print through wireless devices right now.  It is however plugged in via USB.  When I first unboxed the printer and set it up, I was printing via USB only.  It was only after I later set up the wireless, that the USB capability ceased.

Hi kjc1961,

I do apologize, I should have been more specific when asking about the printer in Device Manager. If the printer is not listed in Device Manage under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" as " USB Printing Support", that would explain why the printer is not printing. Please respond to the questions below if that is the case:

Is the USB cable connected directly from the back of the printer to the back of the computer? 

Do you have USB ports on the front of the computer?  If so, connect the printer to one of the front ports.  What happens?

Do you have a different USB cable that you could try?

If the printer is listed in properly in Device Manager, click HERE for instructions on how to confirm that the correct printer port is selected.

However, if the issue remains or further assistance is needed, please feel free to Contact Us HERE and we'll be happy to help you further.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements