cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG3100 Scan Image Degradation

Allengeb
Contributor

My MG3100 has worked fine for years but suddenly the image quality has become unreadable. Suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Allengeb,

The first step would be to replace the ink cartridges.

Next, perform a few printhead cleanings.  To perform cleaning, please follow the steps in this Knowledgebase Article:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART114251

If you are experiencing blurry printing or printing that look italicized, cleaning the timing strip/encoder would be done.  To clean the encoder/timing strip, please follow the steps in this article:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART137635

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for the reply, Patrick. Much appreciated. So, this could be caused by being out of printer ink. Yes? The printer has been low on color ink for some time. I've not replaced the cartridge because color isn't important to my print jobs. Could it be that simply getting a color cartridge would clear this issue?

Thanks again!

Allen

Patrick, The article you sent seems to relate to printing, not scanning. The word scan doesn't appear in the article. Still, I've replaced the color ink cartridge and performed both a clean and deep clean. I've also performed the suggested Nozzle Check Pattern. Both the Nozzle Check Pattern and Printing are fine. None of this has affected the unreadable scan quality. Ideas?

I've also reloaded my drivers.

What version of Windows is installed on your computer?  If using a Mac, what version of OS X is installed?

Are you using your PIXMA MG3120 with a USB cable or wirelessly?

What application are you using to perform a scan?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your followup, Patrick. Here are the answers:

• I am on Windows 10
  • I have a Dell XPS 15
  • I connect through a USB port to scan
  • I am using the Dell Scan icon which has worked perfectly well for years
  • The screen invoked when I choose the Cannon icon says Canon 3100 Series

Need any additional info?

Hello.

Try using our MP Navigator program to scan with the unit.  Visit the following link to download the program:

PIXMA MG3120 Drivers & Downloads

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements