cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change the name of my printers for wifi printing?

tjpk21
Apprentice

I run an office and just bought 5 Canon Pixma g5000 series printers and they all are in different peoples' offices. When you go to print, all 5 printers pop up as Canon g5000 series so it's very confusing to try and print to the correct printer. I looked through the manual and couldn't find anything helpful. Any tips? 

8 REPLIES 8

Stephen

Hi there!

So everyone's on the same page, what are the exact models of your printers, and what operating system(s) do you use?

Have you installed the Canon software & drivers on the client computers from https://canon.us/ijstart 

Looks like they are all G5020, and yes I have. 

Also we all use iMac's

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

How about logging into the printer's web server and changing the hostmame or mDNS name?

I would also assign each printer a static IP on my network and add them to my MACs as IP printers.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Do you know how I would go about logging into the printer's web server? Is that where I would also assign them a static IP? 

normadel
Authority
Authority

When you installed the printers, was there not a place where you named them, other than the default name?

You could uninstall them, then reinstall them, naming them as you wish.

We set up all the printers manually on the printers themselves. Afterwards is when we went through the install process. On my computer I was able to rename them, but when I go to print from my phone it just pops up as default. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Reserving or assigning a static IP address is done on your router.  After a device has been connected, you can review the list of attached devices.  Once you have the IP address the router has assigned, you visit the LAN settings.  There is typically a place to assign or reserve IP's there.  

shadowsports_0-1710859716535.png

Once you have the IP of the device, open a web browser and enter is there.  Example, my printers IP is 192.168.1.99.

shadowsports_0-1720655083553.png

Log into the printer's webserver and visit its network configuration settings.  The host and mDNS names are there.

shadowsports_0-1721686729940.png

This changes its broadcast name on the network, which is what you want.  Not the computer.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements