cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding IP address for Canon Pixma ip4000 printer

stevedi
Apprentice

Please could you help me find the IP address for my Canon Pixma ip4000? I've searched under the printer properties menu without success - the 'General' tab has no IP address entered and interrogating the 'Port' tab does not help [an attempt to reconfigure the port simply brings up a message along the lines that 'this operation is not supported'].

I've also tried pressing and holding the 'Resume' button on the printer, allowing the power button to flash 6 times, as was recommended on this forum to the owner of a different model of canon printer, but nothing printed out.

Thanks for your assistance [I hope!]

2 REPLIES 2

Vera
Apprentice
Hi Steve,

Generally speaking, USB devices won't have an IP address because they are usually connected directly to a PC rather than a router. Network devices have IP addresses.
There are ethernet capable USB switches (IOGear), but only the switch will have an IP address, not the devices attached to it. Hope this helps.

Hi Vera,

Thanks - that does help to explain why I've had this problem, as the printer is a wired one through the USB.

The bigger issue is that I'm trying to get the printer to work with my new Windows 8 64-bit computer. There's a compatability issue and no driver available from Canon to sort the problem, but I did read on another forum that someone had resolved by downloading the driver for Windows XP 64-bit and then installing the printer through the normal Windows 8 'install new printer' menu. The trouble is that I don't seem to be able to get the computer to find the printer when I try to install it - so had been hoping to help it by entering the printer IP address in the advanced search function.

If anyone is able to shed any additional light on this I'd be very grateful - but thanks anyway Vera for your advice on he IP address.

Announcements