cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Pixma MG3620 printer/scanner have memory?

cnnyc
Contributor

Hi, My Pixma MG3620 no longer works and I'm going to recycle it. Does this machine have memory that might have data from prior scans? If so, is there a way to clear the memory? Thanks, CN

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

None.  Its safe to e-Waste as is.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks!

We all thought this was the right answer until July. We were all wrong.

Stephen

Canon Global posted information in July on how to properly reset your printer prior to disposal to prevent potentially sensitive information from getting into the hands of unwanted parties. See their post HERE

Stephen,

Thanks for the quick response.

The Canon Global post from July says to reset all settings and reset the Wireless LAN.

I don't have a reset button on the machine. The menus in the Canon printing app don't include a reset option. When I search the manual, I don't see instructions for resetting the machine.

Does resetting the Wireless LAN settings just entail pushing the WiFi button on the printer?

Do you have layman's language instructions for resetting the printer and the LAN? Apologies if I'm being dense, but the July post seems to be written for an IT person not a consumer.

Rick's reply above says that there isn't internal storage on the MG3620  and that it's safe to e-waste. Do you know if that is correct?

Thanks,

Chris

you're not wrong. That post is from our Product Security Incident Response Team 😂

Rick is one of our Community VIPs - that means he knows a lot about our products from his personal experience, but he's not a Canon employee like I am. I'm not a tech support agent, but it looks like THIS ARTICLE gives you the info you need.

Too long; Didn't read version: 

1. To initialize the printer settings, press and hold the Stop button and release it when the error light flashes 21 times.

2. Turn on the WiFi on your printer.

Repeat.

Thanks! I went through the process that the article outlines.

Apologies, for dragging this out but I'd like to ask a few follow ups.

When you say Repeat, does that meant to repeat both 1 and 2?

Do I need to download the software, which the article instructs you to do? (FYI, the article has the wrong link for the Mac OS software; it takes you to the Microsoft software). 

Do I need to reset the wireless LAN if I never used the printer wirelessly and only used the wired connection? 

Thanks again for your patience and sorry if this is tedious,

Chris

No need to apologize! 

There is a "buffer" that might keep some of your documents, so you'll want to do the process twice to ensure everything is wiped. So yes, do steps 1 and 2. That means turning on the WiFi even though you never used it before. I don't know exactly, but my guess is initializing the WiFi chip forces the memory to be wiped, including anything remnants of documents that might be stored. 

Oh, and HERE is a link to the tool for current macOS!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements