cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon ip 4600 ij printer

Jourdan
Apprentice

My ip4600 continues to print photos just fine. However, it suddenly stopped printing the black part of my documents. The color part of the text doc prints OK, but the black text will not print out with the color text. I strongly suspect there is nothing wrong with the printer itself, but the problem lies in some setting in my computer that I have been unable to fix.

I have gone through ALL the steps in "Maintenance", brand new black cartridges - and yes, I did remove the orange tapes. I have been fighting this problem for two weeks without success. I need help, please!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jourdan,

If both BK patterns on the Nozzle Check are printing correctly, I would agree that theres' a software problem.  So that we can provide accurate steps to proceed, please let us know the version of Windows or Macintosh you are using on the computer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi Jourdan,

So that we can determine whether this is a hardware or software issue, please let us know the results of the Nozzle Check.  To print a Nozzle Check from the printer directly, hold down the resume button on the printer for two flashes of the light, then let go.  The nozzle check should look like this:

Pay particular attention to the PGBK at the top of the pattern as this is what controls the text printing.  The gray BK pattern at the bottom is the dye based black which only factors into the black being printed in graphics and photos.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Nozzle check pattern is normal.

Hi Jourdan,

If both BK patterns on the Nozzle Check are printing correctly, I would agree that theres' a software problem.  So that we can provide accurate steps to proceed, please let us know the version of Windows or Macintosh you are using on the computer.

Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 3

Hi Jourdan!

Usually when this occurs, there is an issue with the Nozzle Check.  I realize you say that it prints correctly, but I just wanted you to verify one more time that the PGBK portion of the Nozzle Check is printing.  This should be a black grid at the top of the test document as shown above.  If this is indeed printing correctly, then there must be an issue with the software somewhere.  I would suggest trying to print from a different application to see if the same issue occurs.  If it only occurs from one application, then please contact the manufacturer of the application for assistance.

One thing to check is that you are printing with the correct settings.  Please click File, Print in your application and verify that you have it set to Plain Paper as the media type and Draft or Standard as the print quality.  You should then be able to print in black ink.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements