cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will EOS Webcam software work for me, and how to download?

paul-bklyn
Contributor

I have an Intel Mac laptop running Monterey OS 12.1. I just bought an EOS R and would like to use it for a webcam. Canon's download process starts with choosing one's Mac OS, and selecting Monterey gives no download option (not just for Webcam utility but for anything).

Should I choose the latest OS that shows a webcam option and proceed with the download , or does Canon just not support Mac OS? I'm reading complaints on this board about incompatibility from over a year ago.

6 REPLIES 6

Zachariah
Contributor

Select your model.
Select the “Drivers & Downloads” tab.
Select the "Software" tab.
Select Windows 10 (x32/x64), if not already detected, from the Operating System list.
Find "EOS Webcam Utility" and click the "SELECT" button.
Click the download button to start downloading.Select your model.
Select the “Drivers & Downloads” tab.
Select the "Software" tab.
Select Windows 10 (x32/x64), if not already detected, from the Operating System list.
Find "EOS Webcam Utility" and click the "SELECT" button.
Click the download button to start downloading.

Zachariah
Contributor

When i got this issue this help me out may be that works for you https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility 

My Mac computer won't work with a Windows version of Webcam Utility. I'm asking about their Mac versions, which have not been updated even for the Mac system before the current one (OS 11 was released 15 months ago, while 12 was released this last November).  However, the Canon site says it detected OS 10.15 on my machine (which is running OS 12.1, not 10.15), so maybe this is a way of implying that the software provided for OS 10 should still work for me. I'm going to give it a try. I just thought I'd ask advice first.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'd be very surprised if the WebCam utility written for Catalina will work with Monterey.  I'm sure many will be interested in hearing of your results.  Optimistically hopeful.  Realistically I'm doubtful.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Well I downloaded the utility for 10.15 and it worked!  Used it for a test Zoom (just me at the meeting). I had not connected this new camera to my computer by USB before, and I wish the wire they supplied were longer, but I'm frightened of swapping one USB-C cable for another, and Canon, of course, sternly warns against using a non-Canon anything. So, success! At least once, anyway. I had it on for a good hour, camera using AC adapter.

I'm planning a zoom and it will be fun and interesting to switch among three cameras. Besides the laptop's built-in one, I have a nice app called EpocCam that turns a phone into a webcam, connecting either by wire or by WiFi. I'm going to use that one for walking around the room. The three cameras have such different image qualities!

My laptop is not one of the new M1 chip machines; it has an Intel processor, so I imagine this utility with an M1 Mac would be a different situation.

What version of zoom did you download? The M1 version or the intel version?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements