cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX50 HS What software do I need to download?

ksmoola1
Contributor

Hi

Years ago I got a Canon Powershot SX50 HS. I have not used it in years and want to start again. I can not locate the CD ROM with the software needed to download pictures to my laptop. Available software is confusing to me because I am not very camera or computer literate. What do I need to download just to get pics off camera? Thank you for any help this forum can give me.

Kathi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Do you have a card reader built into your computer? If so, that would be the easiest and reliable method to transfer photos to your computer.  If it doesn't have a built-in reader, they are fairly inexpensive.  Though be sure to purchase a reader from a reputable brand such as SanDisk and ensure that it would be able to connect to your computer (check the type of USB cable that your computer would need).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Stephen

Hi, Kathi!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know more information:
• Which version of Windows or macOS are you using?

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

If you're in the United States and this is an urgent support need, please call our support team at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666), Monday through Friday.

If you're outside the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks, and have a great day!

ksmoola1
Contributor

Thank you

Windows 11

Do you have a card reader built into your computer? If so, that would be the easiest and reliable method to transfer photos to your computer.  If it doesn't have a built-in reader, they are fairly inexpensive.  Though be sure to purchase a reader from a reputable brand such as SanDisk and ensure that it would be able to connect to your computer (check the type of USB cable that your computer would need).

--
Ricky

Thank you.  I will look into this

Thanks my laptop had a reader

Nice! That's the most reliable method of transfering photos, so glad you have a solution that will work.

--
Ricky

normadel
Authority
Authority

It does not take ANY software to move photos to computer.

As rs-eos said, use an SD card reader.

You can also connect camera and computer by USB A-to-Mini B cable. The camera will (should) mount as a drive in File Explorer. Open it, open the DCIM folder, and there will be the files (maybe in sub-folders). Drag/move them to wherever you want them on the computer.

I tried connecting the camera as that's what I used to do bit it wouldn't recognize that it was there.  I thought I needed some sort of driver then

Have another cable? Or try another USB port on computer.

Or, try it on another computer.

Of course, it IS possible the USB port on the camera isn't working.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements