cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with .cr3 raw files not previewing in Windows 10.

mkyan94
Apprentice

Hello all, I recently purchased a Eos R and have really enjoyed using it.

My issue is that in windows 10 the raw files do not generate a preview in the Windows explorer. I donloaded drivers which allow me to view the files in Adobe Bridge/Lightroom but I still cannot see previews.

Previews allow my workflow to be quicker when making copies and edits  and would appretiate some help.

My previous camera was a 5D mark III and the raw images had no issues with the previes in the explorer.

Any help would be greatly appretaiated. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Have a look here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8?&activetab=pivot%253Aoverviewtab

Credit to Peter for this link

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

My understanding is that Canon are no longer offering a CR3 codec, instead you have two choices:

Use only the Cr3 file and view it via Photoprofessional v4, or...

Shoot in both JPG and RAW and view the JPG files in Windows then use a 3rd party app (like Adobe Photoshop or Camera RAW).  This is what I do.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Peter
Authority
Authority

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8?&activetab=pivot%253Aoverviewtab

These days Microsoft uses the free and open source software LibRaw. LibRaw released support for CR3 this autumn. The latest support Microsoft has was released in the spring of 2019.

Peter,

Your link is correct.  Thats the one I thougt I was linking too.  Use Peter's link, The RAW image extension app used in conjunction with windows build 1903 offers native .cr3 support in windows explorer.

So updating my post, but credit to Peter for posting the correct link. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi, Thanks for the link. I installed the codecs but it still will not generate previews. I also restared my computer as well but still nothing.

Any other ideas on why this may not be working?

Thank you so much for your time!

@mkyan94 wrote:

Hi, Thanks for the link. I installed the codecs but it still will not generate previews. I also restared my computer as well but still nothing.

Any other ideas on why this may not be working?

Thank you so much for your time!

I use DPP4 to browse through photos in folders.  It works great for this purpose.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Peter
Authority
Authority
As I wrote the latest support from Microsoft was the spring of 2019. LibRaw with CR3 support was released in autumn. You will have to wait for Microsoft.
As an alternative perhaps Faststone image viewer works for you? It has CR3 support.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements