cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility Live View with Timer Shooting

MichaelTeoh
Contributor

I wonder what's the reason the timer shooting won't work with live view.

Is this a software limitation or hardware related?

When we operate the camera physically, showing live view on the LCD screen, we can use the timer or an intervalometer with no issue. But when we try to do the same using the EOS Utility, it just can't. You have to close the live view in order for the timer or intervalometer to work.

16 REPLIES 16

@Waddizzle wrote:

As for why the buttons and controls appear to be disabled when the camera is remote shooting mode goes.....I believe that is the fundamental definition of remote shooting.  What do you think?

You seem to be constantly misunderstood or confused with what I am actually referring to. 

I am talking about to the Timer Shooting function on the EOSU, where you can set the delay and/or interval on continuous shots. The same with a physical intervalometer. And the issue is only when Live View being displayed. 

From your replies, I doubt you actually know what an intervalometer is, or if you know there is such function in EOSU.

Maybe you should make sure you know what I am actually talking about before trying to be sarcastic. 

And I'm not the only one in this world who has issue with this. And it doesn't only happen to the 10-year-old 60D. Just google it, which I did before posting here. 

While it doesn't affect most people, I simply cannot think of a logical reason why it has to be disabled in EOSU, or not working in the case of intervalometer. I believe it must be something related to the USB port. 

@MichaelTeoh wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

As for why the buttons and controls appear to be disabled when the camera is remote shooting mode goes.....I believe that is the fundamental definition of remote shooting.  What do you think?

You seem to be constantly misunderstood or confused with what I am actually referring to. 

I am talking about to the Timer Shooting function on the EOSU, where you can set the delay and/or interval on continuous shots. The same with a physical intervalometer. And the issue is only when Live View being displayed. 

From your replies, I doubt you actually know what an intervalometer is, or if you know there is such function in EOSU.

Maybe you should make sure you know what I am actually talking about before trying to be sarcastic. 

And I'm not the only one in this world who has issue with this. And it doesn't only happen to the 10-year-old 60D. Just google it, which I did before posting here. 

While it doesn't affect most people, I simply cannot think of a logical reason why it has to be disabled in EOSU, or not working in the case of intervalometer. I believe it must be something related to the USB port. 

I tried it on four different camera bodies and the EOS Utility 2: 1D Mark IV; 1Ds Mark III; T3i and my neighbor tried it with the T5 I sold him.  None of them allowed remote timer shooting..  It does not work they way you wish or want it to work.  End of story.  

Nothing is broken.  If you want to use timer delay shutter remotely, then it is time to upgrade your camera to one that uses the EOS Utility 3.  It worked with the 6D, 6D2, and the 7D2.  It did not work with the M3, even though it uses the EOSU 3.  The M3 does not allow remote shooting, anyway.

Like I said, it works perfectly fine with the latest cameras.  I am sorry yours is too old, and relies on EOSU 2.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I strongly suggest that you contact Canon Support with your issue.  Good Luck!.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I don't think Canon Support can help in any way. Like you said, nothing is "broken" here. The software and hardware were just not designed to work that way with the combination I have (60D + EOS U2).

I was not seeking for a solution, but a technical explanation shall anyone knows anything about the software and/or hardware behaviour or design.

I also read and know that it works with EOS U3 but I do not have any newer camera to verify that, which you did. Thanks for the testing to confirm that.

Talking about solution, this is actually what I'm trying to do.

During the upcoming solar eclipse, I will be doing a live stream with the camera attached to the telescope. Instead of using the camera as a direct video source, my plan is to stream the live view window instead, and take photo sequence at the same time. That is why I would need the timer shooting function or intervalometer. But it turns out I can't do that with my old camera (probably just one generation too old, as the EOS U3 supports 70D).

So, I may have no choice but to manually click with a wireless remote control repeatedly. 

pepitohonguito8
Apprentice

I have the same issue and I was wondering the same why is not possible to set the time shooter on live view shoot. I mean wouldn't be useful to shoot multiple times while at the same time seeing what you get on your laptop screen? instead of having to click the mouse every time you want to shoot. Why is so hard to be nice and give more polite answers?

greenmachines
Apprentice

I have the 70d. The utility was programmed to break this functionaility without any purpose. It is just poor programming. The remote shutters including IR do function  while also being able to use the shutter button in the EOS ... until you click liveview. For no discernable reason, they chose to make it possible in remote EOS utility simultaneously with IR right up to the point that you see the image the camera sees. The remote controls are already visible and functioning on the computers/phones monitor ( in the utility ) without disabling the use of IR. But turn on liveview and it breaks. For all those that replied without actually testing, they would make excuses for why "remote" means remote when in fact remote utility shutter and IR will work at the same time without live view.

jfedel
Apprentice

I have the same problem. I have a micro controlled stepper motor that moves the camera. Through the 2.5mm remote jack, it will take a picture. Move the camera again ... It would be nice to do the setup and see the images on a computer monitor. Now, even with Utility 3, you have to set things up, then disconnect the computer, connect the microcontroller, and let it take it's shots.

Announcements