cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional will not run

kevinh
Contributor

From checking  previous messages on this board and elsewhere, it appears I've found an unsolvable problem with Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4

In short, the program will not run and crashes on every attempt to start it.

This is the latest version of DPP downloaded direct from the Canon USA support site.

I'm running a Windows 10 version 2004  with 64-bit Windows and 8GB. All updates are current.

Now here are the  changes that made absoltutely no difference:

deleting the Canon_Inc_IC folder in C:\ProgramData\

Deleting the lens registration tool.

Uninstalling DPP with Revo Uninstaller.

Restarting the PC after uninstalling  DPP and downloadng the latest version of DPP4 from the Canon USA website.

All of those steps were reccomended in various places but none stopped DPP 4 from crashing on startup.

I have found no place online where the crashing problem has been solved.

Previously I've tried conntacting Canon USA phone support and been denieI

It's not difficult to search and find numerous complaints about DPP4, but there are no indications that anyone has found how to make the software work.

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Windows 10 2004 has numberous glitches, which Microsoft has acknowledged.  Is your PC running an Intel chipset?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Windows 10 2004 has numberous glitches, which Microsoft has acknowledged.  Is your PC running an Intel chipset?

No. Gigabye motherboard and AMD CPU.  PC runs Lightroom and Photoshop with  no problems.

@kevinh wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

No. Gigabye motherboard and AMD CPU.  PC runs Lightroom and Photoshop with  no problems.

I see.  You appear to running an AMD machine that you built yourself.  Many users running AMD motherboards in DIY, home brewed computers have issues with the Canon software.  There is something in the AMD drivers and BIOS that causes issues with the EOS Utlity communicating through a USB port.

All of the Canon apps have both software and hardware prerequisites.  Canon specifically calls for an Intel chipset, most likely for the graphics hardware when it comes to DPP..  Canon also strongly recommends using a graphics card by NVidia.  These specs are posted on the download page.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@kevinh

All of what Wadizzle has said is true.

I am Gigabyte too, but Intel and (EVGA) nVidia based.

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W10 1909

I have a laptop running build 2004 and DPP 4.x, but again its Intel.  

If the program is crashing, and not taking the system with it, you should be able to review the System Event Viewer, which might provide insight on the source of the problem.  Certainly worth a look.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements