cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.10.20 App crash on CR2 pics with ALO enabled ( Automatic Lightining Optimization )

alexpilion
Enthusiast

Desktop system configuration:

Quadcore AMD Phenom II cpu , GPU Nvidia 1050ti , Ram 12GB

Primary O.S. Hard Drive 128 Gb TOSHIBA THNSNJ128GCST ATA (SSD)

Storage (Photo) hard drive 1Tb TOSHIBA HDWJ110 ATA (no SSD)

Windows 7 x64 professional, Italian version with latest update.

.Net 4.7.2 with latest updates.

CUDA 10.2 and nvidia drivers 441.22. I installed the full CUDA version despite not using since this is a Visual Studio 2017 machine, recently reinstalled from scratch and I have the plan to start looking at it from a Developer perspective.

Several tools, software used either legacy (like C++ runtime based) than contemporary , built on .Net 3.5 and 4 always worked fine on this machine, included DPP 4.7.21 with or without GPU acceleration option it never fails except for saying that lens data are unavailable.

DPP 4.10.02 open correctly, allow to apply digital lens optimization according to lens data but if i try to enable Automatic lightining optimization it crash.

It also crashes if I try to view or edit certain CR2, basically the ones which has been already set with a check in the ALO

3 REPLIES 3

Tim
Authority

alexpilion, 

I am sorry that you continue to have trouble with this machine.  We recommend trying a different computer to see if the same issue persists. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Tim,

I tried either 4.10.20 and 4.11.02 on a Windows 7 ultimate 32bit computer, different hardware so no Nvidia CUDA and also single core. A part of being deadly slow it does not crash.

I also tried the version 4.11.02 on my laptop and it worked for few months, than after a windows update I started to have the issue related to EOS lens registration tools. Eventually I was able to avoid that by uninstalling only the tool and using the EOS lens registration tools provided with DPP 4.10.50

Anyway this cannot explain why on this Windows 7 64bit computer the version 4.7.21 works fine and either 4.10.20 and 4.11.02 do not.

I tried many times to uninstall DPP, reboot, install a different version and the results are always the same, each time I come back to the initially installed version, 4.7.21 all is fine, when I move to a newer one I start to see Appcrash.

As from system requirements all these versions are reporting the same compatibility so I am expeting they should all work.

To be sure that setup are not corrupted, despite the zip should not unpack in this case, I even downloaded again the setup 4.11.02 from Canon website and fecthed from the Download folder of the W7 ultimate 32bit machine the same setup for DPP 4.10.20 which worked on that.

Weirdly the 4.10.20 works fine on the Windows 7 64bit machine in case of JPG editing , it is crashing only on specific CR2, all these have ALO checked, and also I got a crash on any other CR2 when I try to enable ALO.

At the moment I switched back to 4.7.21 since it works for all the files from my EOS M6 (mark I), surely this will not make me enthusiast on running to get a newer model that , for example, uses CR3 format and require a less obsolete DPP version.

I am not trying on an abandoned W7 machine, to me this "old" operative system is the main and fastest workstation.

In fact it is a fully working system which has been clean reinstall around one year ago when I changed the system drive with an SSD.

Do not hesitate to contact me further in case other details are required.
Since photography is just an hobby and my work is on IT I am pretty confident on using tools like Process Monitor, Event viewer etc.

Cheers

Alex

@alexpilion wrote:

Hi Tim,

I tried either 4.10.20 and 4.11.02 on a Windows 7 ultimate 32bit computer, different hardware so no Nvidia CUDA and also single core. A part of being deadly slow it does not crash.

I tried many times to uninstall DPP, reboot, install a different version and the results are always the same, each time I come back to the initially installed version, 4.7.21 all is fine, when I move to a newer one I start to see Appcrash.

As from system requirements all these versions are reporting the same compatibility so I am expeting they should all work.

To be sure that setup are not corrupted, despite the zip should not unpack in this case, I even downloaded again the setup 4.11.02 from Canon website and fecthed from the Download folder of the W7 ultimate 32bit machine the same setup for DPP 4.10.20 which worked on that.

Weirdly the 4.10.20 works fine on the Windows 7 64bit machine in case of JPG editing , it is crashing only on specific CR2, all these have ALO checked, and also I got a crash on any other CR2 when I try to enable ALO.

Cheers

Alex

Your conclusions are not fully accurate.  The problem is your home brewed PC that is the problem.  

"Desktop system configuration:

Quadcore AMD Phenom II cpu , GPU Nvidia 1050ti , Ram 12GB

Primary O.S. Hard Drive 128 Gb TOSHIBA THNSNJ128GCST ATA (SSD)

Storage (Photo) hard drive 1Tb TOSHIBA HDWJ110 ATA (no SSD)

Windows 7 x64 professional, Italian version with latest update.

.Net 4.7.2 with latest updates."

The problem is probably your CPU.  It does not meet the proper specifications.  No "Intel Inside" of your PC.

9573A436-9A84-4CDE-A514-1E7065E7E961.jpeg

Sorry.  Home brewed platforms seem to have the most problems.  I agree with Tim.  Try a different PC, not a home built one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements