cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R50 shows up as Other Devices with driver error

DMarcus
Contributor

HI I am setting up my Canon R50 camera to be used on a tethered USB cable using a computer running Windows 11. Worked flawlessly when I first tried it out( unfortunately did not check device manager at the time to see what was going on). The next day windows quit seeing the camera. Would only show up as "other devices" and list it as iAP interface with a yellow triangle with the ! in the center telling me that the driver was not installed code 28. Tried my T3i and it showed up as Portable devices and worked with my astronomy programs.  I then updated the firmware to 1.1.0 from 1.0.0, and device manager now sees the camera under Portable devices, BUT it also shows up as "other devices" with the same iAP Interface code 28 no device driver installed. Currently the R50 seems to be seen by all my astronomy programs, and works as it should. Just wondering why it seems to be listed 2x in device manager - one under Portable devices and listed as ok, the other place is under other devices, iAP Interface with the code 28 - missing driver.? I disabled the other devices -iAP Interface and things still seem to be working ok. Is that the "fix" or is there a better way???? Seems to be a windows 11 and canon driver issue?

Using Windows 11 Home 23H2 64bit os build 22631.3155, on a i9 with 32G ram

and Canon R50 1.1.0 firmware

any solutions? here is a screen shot before I disabled the other devices driver

DMarcus_0-1708121037439.pngDMarcus_1-1708121103659.png

Dan Marcus

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Have you tried rebooting your PC?  I assume that this is not a laptop of some brand. 

Do you have another camera you could try?  Another cable?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

DMarcus
Contributor

yep T3i, no issues with it. loads driver ok, and does not show up as other devices

DMarcus
Contributor

note both do show up in the the portable devices section, yes multiple reboots always does the same thing.

have tried uninstalling, as well, still the same results, only thing that got things to work was upgrading the firmware of the camera. All seems to work ok except for the extra Other Devices problem all seems to work ok. Once I disabled it all seems to work for now. Just do not want the driver to barf just before the Total Solar Eclipse on April 8. The T3i will be my backup just in case.

DMarcus
Contributor

yes it is a gaming laptop. Has a USB c port, does the same when using that port as well. So it is a windows/canon driver issue? Before up grading the firmware, both my desktop and laptop did not see the R50 camera.

DMarcus
Contributor

yep had already tried two cameras, two different types of cables, rebooted numerous times, updated windows, updated firmware to 1.1.0 from 1.0.0, and tried it on a laptop and desktop both running the same version of windows before asking for help on this forum. Only thing I have not tried is a system restore to sometime previous to owning the R50 on my laptop. Never worked correct on the desktop till after the firmware update, but still shows up in two places just like the laptop, and just like the laptop it also shows up as "other devices" with the same iAP Interface code 28 no device driver installed. So two machines running win 10 home 64 bit same problem. ????? windows 11 does not like something. Or is it a setting on the R50 camera that I am doing wrong? Again the T3i by itself works just fine and has no issues in Device Manager on both machines.

Announcements