cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon DPP and AMD compatibility

Tman
Contributor

With the advancement in multicore processors, AMD is coming out with incredibly nice CPUs (Ryzen). I know DPP generally supports Intel chips, but I've seen some information that the Lens Correction not working on or it takes a long time to process images on AMD vs Intel. If anyone knows, what's the general consensus here? Is DPP taking advantage of multi core at all or the DPP programming only caters to Intel chips and some function flat out won't work with AMD CPU? I'm trying to figure out the future PC upgrade path. Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8

Peter
Authority
Authority
Never had an issue with Phenom II X4 945 nor Threadripper 1950x in VirtualBox (Canon has no Linux support).

Greetings,

Canon DPP (Intel vs. AMD)??

While I have used both Intel and AMD, Intel has the corner on compatibility, and floating point processing power.  AMD did give them a run for their money, but over the long run, Intel surpassed them and continues to do so.  Its just a fact (check market share).  

You can install your budget minded AMD CPU, water cool it and OC it to god knows what and have a great system, but you will always be tweaking, flashing, waiting for new AGESA updates, to improve memory, storage, hardware and software compatibility.  If you've got time for that, great.  I don't.  When intel dumped their slot processor technology (RIP PIII) and introduced the P4 (Socket 478) Northwood core, I walked away from AMD.  Is AMD a good company, you bet.  But not one I want to invest in again.

ATI was good too, but the Radeon brand has also had software related problems that again...  I don't have time to deal with.  Being 10-20 FPS faster in some games doesn't equate to better in my book, especially if I can't run my system or play reliably.  I'm out of that scene and only game on a console now.  

There are 2 crowds.  AMD and Intel. You can see which I am.  I don't begrudge people who choose AMD.  If it works for you great.  AMD however is not for me.  I use and supports MAC's everyday as well, even own a few, but can't stand them either.  Each has their purpose.  AMD is a little more budget friendly.  MAC's are just plain overpriced for what you get...  but both continue to chase Intel.  I'm not worried about that changing.   

AMD - Great for budget minded enthusiast who don't mind spending their free time tweaking their system to get every ounce of performance possible.  You are willing to put up with minor compatibility issues.  You save money.  The money you save gets eaten up in the time you spend trying to make your rig run faster or fix what doesn't work.  AMD owners are extremely prideful of this. 

Intel - You are wiling to spend a little more upfront.  Productivity is important to you.  You don't have time to deal with software compatibility or hardware issues.  Your time is money.  You've purchased a Ferrari and when you step on the gas, it goes. 

Apple - You are a creative mind - nothing redeeming there whatsoever.  Oh wait.  They aren't part of this.  But the numbers speak for themselves.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick summarized it very well! 

AMD had done some great stuff, especially lately, but to me my workstations are tools and I want them to work without fuss.  Unfortunately Windows 10 has forced me to spend some time fixing things their updates break such as resetting the ethernet settings I use for connecting my 1DX bodies but the hardware (HP Z820 and Z840 twin Intel Xeon CPU workstations with Nvidia Quadro video cards) has been extremely reliable.  My later Z840 came with HP's phase vapor CPU coolers and I added those to the Z820 so both now run even quieter with the fan speed never ramping up when rendering large 4K video files, maximum core temperature I have seen is 49C and with DPP it never goes over the mid 40C range.

Both workstations came dual boot from HP with Linux also installed which provides the reliability and speed that Windows used to have back in the XP and Win 7 days when Microsoft sold an OS instead of a carnival sideshow with an OS hidden underneath.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Rodger,

That's very kind. 

I use a vapor chamber on one of my Aorus systems.  Very quiet indeed.

I moved to water on my Z390 build.  Went back and forth on this for a while.  Had a hard time mounting something pumping water over an $800 video card.  Decided in the end to go for it.  Happy I did.  Case design, airflow and static pressure have a huge effect on cooling.  You don't need much with a good case.  I'm only using a 120mm radiator.  Fan speeds are about 400 RPM when idle.  My PSU and video card both support Zero RPM fan mode, so the fans don't even spin in lower demand situations.  I don't think the PSU fan has ever come on.  Am also seeing similar temps.  29~31C idle, mid 40'sC under load and imperceptible fan noise.  Off topic...  sorry guys.  

H80i v2.png    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

That looks like a very nice setup Rick!

HP provides a nice integrated setup for the Z 800 series workstations using a fan shroud with multiple blowers and fans to send air where it is needed without creating a lot of noise.  https://rodgersingley.smugmug.com/HP-Z840-workstation

I used my HP Z840 this morning to render some 4K video footage and unlike DPP it does heavily load the GPU.  After a 22 minute session running the twin CPUs at a sustained ~60% load and the GPUs at ~55% load, the CPU and GPU temperature never exceeded 48C with the cooling system running at one step above minimum idle which is where I have the base cooling set.  It if ever got hot enough to ramp up to level 7 it would be noisy but I don't expect that will ever happen.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Peter
Authority
Authority

@Tman 
Is DPP taking advantage of multi core at all

Skärmbild från 2019-12-26 11-17-17.png

Seems like that. Too bad VirtualBox 5.8 only supports 8 threads and not all my 32 threads.

Thanks for the inputs everyone! You guys have really beefy PCs! I'm probably looking at PCs that won't require water cooling, but it's interesting to see the builds on some of the PCs. I'm still leaning towards Ryzen for cost/performance standpoint, especially with Ryzen Gen 4 on the horizon, but that may change.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/DPP-4-on-AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper/td-p/290757

Wouldn't it be interesting with a benchmark? For example 5Ds file or R5 file with all settings turned on?

Announcements