cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera EOS M50 no more recognized in Microsoft Teams' desktop app since today ?? !!

Dwarf
Apprentice

Hi Canon dev' team

First of all, I would like to thank you again for providing us this fabulous utility. I'm using it since the Beta version and I'm happy with it !

Here's my issue:

I've donwloaded this final release of EOS Webcam Utility since the 12th of november.

I'm facing a issue which is really curious.  Last week (and this week-end too), I've used this final release with the Microsoft Teams' desktop app, with no issue.  My webcam (EOS M50) was perfectly recognized.

This morning (monday 16 november 2020)... impossible to get this working correctly.  The camera is not recognized at all on the desktop app.

I can certify that this was working correctly last thursday, friday and even Saturday 14 november. My daughter had a Teams Visio with her dance teacher and this worked perfectly !!!

How is it possible that the webcam stopped working from one day to the other ???

How is it possible that a 'beta' version had worked without any issue for months... and the final version is not in the Teams desktop app ??

I'm using this EOS Webcam Utility since the very beginning with the beta version, and my M50 had ALWAYS been recognized into the desktop Teams app on my mac (Calatlina 10.15.7).

Please, Canon, drop an anwser or an update to the software... this thing is so coool !

Info on my setup:

Mac:  mac mini 2018

OS Version: OS 10 Catalina 10.15.7

Teams Version: Microsoft Teams 1.3.00.28778 . Last update on 14/11/2020.

I've also checked that the "Teams app" is referenced into the "Security and Privacy" of my system.
It is present and checked for the "microphone" and "camera" options into the "privacy" tab

>EDIT: 

More curious too, i've got another piece of software call "Camtwist" which worked like a charm before I discover the EOS Webcam Utility, and I just realized that this software is no more recognized by the Microsoft Teams this morning !!!

**bleep**... could it be possible that Microsoft has ruined the webcam with a fuc... update ??

The final version works absolutely fine in the other app (Zoom, Skype, OBS, etc..)

Daniel

6 REPLIES 6

Dwarf
Apprentice

Hi there, 

I've done a couple of researches after my last edit ..

as mentionned, all my virtual camera software I was usually using was no more recognized by Teams this morning.

I can confirm that this issue is related to an FUC...G update made by Microsoft on their Teams desktop app this Week-end or this morning I don't know !

I've found this thread, opened earlier this year (July 2020) : https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/908686-bug-reports/suggestions/40961347-latest-teams-upd...

The thread has been updated on 9th november with some commands to drop into the terminal to remove the code-signature of the Microsoft Teams. This is a workarround until Microsoft fixes this issue !

Here are the command you have to use into the terminal in order to bring your Virtual Webcam back:

(You'll have to download and install Xcode from the mac app store to do so)

xcode-select --install (only if you haven't already)

sudo codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app"

sudo codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper.app"

sudo codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper (GPU).app"

sudo codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper (Plugin).app"

sudo codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper (Renderer).app"

This worked for me and I'm now able to (re)use my EOS M50 as a webcam in Teams destop app !

@++
Dwarf

I don't know about yours, but my MacBook OS updated over the weekend.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle,

Thanks for your answer,

I saw the new upgrade but I didn't update my mac mini's OS over the Week-end. I do not want to upgrade to BigSur right now 😉

I'm still on Catalina 10.15.7

Hi There,

As discussed in this Thread last week, I also find that the new "Skype.app" had this issue. (No virtual driver present for video part !)

Same behavior, same fix !

Use the terminal to remove the signature for those Sype.app's components and you're done !

sudo codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (GPU).app"

sudo codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (Plugin).app"

sudo codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (Renderer).app"

sudo codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper.app"

After that, Skype is seeing all my "virtual cam" softwares and I can use my EOS M50 as a webcam!

@++

Dwarf

Literally created an account just to let you know it worked a treat. Thanks Dwarf.

FANTASTIC Dwarf!

Worked perfectly. Now my EOS Webcam plug-in is working again.

Thank you!

Announcements