cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Focal Point Not Shown in Software Using Back Button Focus

iClick
Contributor

I use Back Button Focus (BBF) and set the focus point (using center spot).

In the software (DPP, ZoomBrowser or EOS Utility) the point I selected is not highlighted in the view window.

All points are shown, but none highlighted.

If I take the same shot using default focus method (shutter button AF), the point is highlighted .

Why is this?

Not too technical, please 🙂

Canon 3Ti, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, 320EX Speedlite
5 REPLIES 5

Tim
Authority

Hi iClick,

To display the active AF point of the image you shot within Digital Photo Professional, you would need to open the image inside an editing window.  By selecting the [View] menu > [AF Point] in the edit window or image edit window.  This will show the AF point selected in the camera at the time of shooting. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for replying,

But nope, the selected focal point just is not  highlighted in the software when the photo was taken using Back-Button-Focus.

All the points are shown, but the one I selected in the camera is not highlighted.

It is highlighted  in the software on shots using normal focusing (half press on shutter button)..

I guess this is no big deal. It is displayed in the camera viewfinder.

Just like to see: "What in the world was i focused on?".

Thanks again.

Canon 3Ti, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, 320EX Speedlite

iClick,

You may try updating to the latest versions of our software by downloading the updates from our website.  The link below will take you to the download page:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t3i_18_55mm_is_ii_kit#...

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks.

I did just download and install the updates (DPP, EOS, Picture Style Editor and Zoom Browser).

Still no red focus point(s) shown with Back-button Focusing.

I searched on the web for this "symptom" and found, that I'm not alone.

It seems in Back-Button Focusing, the focus point won't be displayed unless you hold the back button down (* button  in my case) while pressing the shutter button.

I tried holding the * button while taking a shot and yes the red box shows up.

This seems like defeating the usefulness of back button focusing. (???).

What do I know? I'm just a newbie.

iClick,

You do have to be holding the button while taking the picture.  Otherwise, autofocus is no longer active and the camera does not know which AF point was being used or if one was being used at all. 

When you use the shutter button, half-pressing starts autofocus, then the full-press takes the picture.  When using the button on the back of the camera, you press and hold it down to focus, then press the shutter button while holding it down to take the picture.

Announcements